BOYS BASKETBALL | The Wolves are on fire with a four-game win streak

Fresh off another win, the boys basketball team is now on a four-game win streak. One question remains: how far will they go in the postseason?
The+2017-18+boys+basketball+team+is+one+of+the+most+successful+teams+in+school+history.+
ROSELYN POOMAI
The 2017-18 boys basketball team is one of the most successful teams in school history.

Previous matches | Coming off a win against the San Fernando Tigers, the boys lost by nine points at Kennedy on Jan. 21. Since that loss, the Wolves have gone on a three-game winning streak. On Jan. 22, the varsity team dominated 61-37 against the Hawthorne Cougars. In an away game against Sylmar, the Wolves dropped 68 points and held the Spartans to 51 points. On Jan. 26, the varsity basketball team decimated the Canoga Park Hunters at home, 74-30.

The bottom line | On Jan. 28, the varsity basketball team won their home game against Panorama Pythons by a score of 77-68. The Wolves continue their winning streak with their fourth consecutive victory.

What’s next |The team will host the Reseda Regents on Feb. 2.

Our thoughts | What a spectacular performance from the boys this season. On a four-game win streak, second in their division and winning 12 of their 18 games, the Wolves are playing at a level similar to the 2017-18 varsity team. With one of the best coaches in the Los Angeles school district, seemingly unbreakable team chemistry and great play on both ends of the courts, this team has proven time and time again that they are a force not to be reckoned with.

Team history | 

• Coach Evan Porter has been an integral part of the varsity basketball team’s success since 2013. After being handed the responsibility of coaching a team that went 4-14 overall the season prior, Coach Porter slowly began to turn the program around.

2013-14 season record overall: 2 wins, 12 losses

2014-15 season record overall: 16 wins, 14 losses

• Team went to CIF semifinals, lost to Bernstein Dragons

2015-16 season record overall: 15 wins, 13 losses

• Team went to CIF semifinals, lost to Kennedy Bobcats

2016-17 season record overall: 23 wins, 10 losses

• Team becomes CIF City Section Division III Champions
  • Coach Porter named Coach of the Year

2017-18 season record overall: 24 wins, 13 losses

• Team went to CIF semifinals, lost to Santa Clarita Christian Cardinals

2018-19 season record overall: 12 wins, 13 losses

•  Team made CIFLACS Boys Basketball Playoffs, lost to Fremont Pathfinders in first round

2019-20 season record overall: 13 wins, 17 losses

• Team played in CIFLACS Basketball Championship, lost to Palisades Dolphins in first round

2020-21 season record overall: 3 wins, 2 losses

• Team played in CIFLACS Basketball Championship, lost to Taft Toreadors in first round

2021-22 season record as of right now: 11 wins, 6 losses

• With a 67 win percentage on the season, the 2022 boys basketball team is playing at a level similar to that of the 2017-18  team that made CIF semifinals. Both teams had only one loss

For the books | 

• 12-6 overall
  • 4-1 Valley Mission League