Girls basketball continues winning streak with a fatal blow to Sylmar

CHRISTOPHER MONTERROSA
Cara Dechathong (#40) gets ready to shoot the ball at the home game against Sylmar on Jan. 10. The Wolves easily overpowered the Spartans 61-39 for their tenth consecutive victory.

The bottom line | The girls basketball team battled against the Sylmar Spartans on Wednesday, Jan. 10, and crushed them with a score of 61-39.

Highlights |

• The first quarter ended with the Wolves up by two points, ending with the score at 8-6.
  • At half time, the Wolves were in the lead by six points with a score of 26-20.
  • By the third quarter, the Wolves had finally crushed the Spartans’ dreams with a score of 41-32.

Points scored each quarter |

• First: VNHS 8 SHS 6
  • Second: VNHS 18 SHS 14
  • Third: VNHS 15 SHS 12
  • Fourth: VNHS 20 SHS 7

What’s next | The team hits the road for their next game on Wednesday, Jan. 17, against San Fernando High School. They then hit the road the next day to play against Canoga Park on Thursday, Jan. 18.

Team thoughts | “This game had its ups and downs,” team member Angie Volpe said. “In the beginning, our team was trying to keep up with Sylmar, but by half time our team was up by many points so we had a hope of winning. Luckily we did.”

Our thoughts | After a three-week break, the team was able to beat yet another team, making this the tenth game that they have won in a row. The team is doing great with only one loss in the books, displaying the hard work they put in at practice to massacre most of their opponents. The team will continue to be successful throughout the season, so make sure to stop by the big gym on their next away game and show them some support.

For the books |
10 wins, 1 loss
Valley Mission League