Girls basketball advances to final playoff round

After putting in the work during their regular season, the girls basketball team was able to advance to the final game of playoffs.
Yaneli Zuniga jumps high as she gets ready to throw the ball to another player.

The last time girls basketball won the playoff tournament was in the 2018-2019 Division II playoffs. 

Last season, the team qualified for the Division I playoffs, but unfortunately lost in the first round 35-59 against El Camino Real High School.

This season, with an amazing record of 11-1 the girls basketball team was qualified to participate in the 2023-2024 Division II playoffs. 

The team had their first playoff game on Feb. 10 against Maywood Center for Enriched Studies. They easily squashed the Maywood team with a score of 62-18. 

The playoff’s quarterfinals took place on Feb. 14 in the VNHS big gym against Carson High School. With the gym  full of Wolf fans, our team beat Carson with a score of 33-29. 

The team then advanced to the semifinals to play against Cleveland High School on Feb. 17. Our team had trouble in the first half keeping up with the Cleveland Cavaliers, but in the second half the team shaped up, put in all their effort and successfully beat the Cavaliers with a score of 54-43. 

Finally, the team will play their championship game against their rival Kennedy High school at Birmingham High School on Friday, Feb. 23 at 6 p.m. The Wolves have previously played against Kennedy High school twice in their season; they won the first game 36-32 but unfortunately lost in their second game 43-56. 

This championship game will be very difficult and grueling, but with the support of students, staff and parents, the girls basketball team will bring home a Division II championship trophy for the school.