Boys basketball Senior Night is spoiled by the Sylmar Spartans

The bottom line | On Friday, Feb. 2, the boys basketball team held their Senior Night against the undefeated Sylmar Spartans, and lost with a ravaging score of 71-94.

Highlights | 

• In the first quarter, Earl Gervacio (#30) was able to efficiently drive to the basket, getting multiple points as well as some three pointers for the team.
  • O’shan Williams (#25) and Jonathan Pritchett (#12) helped the Wolves immensely by getting a couple of rebounds, giving them more possessions to score.
  • Patrick Raju (#15) and Christopher Gomez (#10) contributed to the Wolves offensively, as they both were able to get a couple of threes throughout the game.
  • Jeremy Rivas (#1) and Jonco Holgado (#2) aggressively drove into the basket, getting a few tough layups, or were able to create contact for more free throw opportunities.
  • Aiden Chin (#5) and Bryce Chin (#00) used their speed on both sides of the court, either getting offensive rebounds or getting steals from the other team.
  • In spite of these small victories, what cost the Wolves was their amount of turnovers and missed shots. They were also unable to prevent the Spartans’ unstoppable offense, ultimately resulting in their 71-94 loss.

What’s Next | After a rough game against Sylmar, this game concludes the end of the boys basketball season, as they unfortunately were closely cut from making the playoffs. 

Team thoughts | “This was a tough way to end off the season, as we obviously wanted to end it off with a bang,” captain Jonco Holgado said. “Although we started to pick it up at the end but weren’t able to, we can’t dwell from this loss but only look at all the accomplishments we’ve had not from this season, but others as well. I am very proud of all of my teammates and how much they’ve achieved. I love every one of them and hope that the underclassmen have an amazing season next year.”

Our Thoughts | The team held their ground against Sylmar, despite them having zero losses in their league. Although there were many faults in their game, the team can use those mistakes to develop better in the next season. Everyone played their hardest, and even though they were cut from the playoffs, every senior was able to cherish their best memories from their high school careers. 

For the books

• 5 wins, 7 losses
  • Valley Mission League