End Of A Historic Run

SPORTS

End Of A Historic Run

BOYS BASKETBALL: A pair of late threes finished off the Wolves

Devin Tse | Sports Editor
March 19, 2018

It was a long post-season for the Wolves.

Now it’s all over.

The Santa Clarita Christian Cardinals overpowered the Van Nuys Boys Varsity Basketball team 81-73 in the CIF Regional Finals at The Master’s University in Newhall on Saturday, Mar.17.

The home court advantage belonged to the Cardinals which they never let go of during the match.

The Wolves started off the game with a strong offensive run led by Tyree Winborn. However, Van Nuys was physically outmatched throughout the game as Santa Clarita consistently dominated the boards.

The Cardinals’ offense began to click in the second quarter but the Wolves swiftly responded when they trimmed their deficit to 5 points by halftime. Aiding Winborn, Matthew Sykes finished with 28 points and kept Van Nuys within striking distance.

The game headed into the final quarter and Winborn began to light up the scoreboard basket after basket. With several minutes left in the game, Van Nuys was soaring back. Two late three pointers by Santa Clarita ultimately ended their championship aspirations.

The Wolves finish the season with a 24-13 overall record and an 11-1 league record.

The Cardinals, now with a 25-9 record, face Argonaut in the state division championship on March 24 in Sacramento.

Final Score: 81-73

Devin Tse is the Sports Editor for The Mirror. He is a junior and a second-year member at the Van Nuys High School journalism class.

Devin enjoys watching and participating in sporting events. He is currently on the Boys Varsity Volleyball Team. Besides covering sports for The Mirror, he is also interested in the other activities occurring at Van Nuys High School.

FacebookInstagramTwitter

View Comments (1)
$385
$20000

$385
$20000

• R

RonMar 20, 2018 at 7:43 pm

The game was rigged. The calls were so one-sided. We should have won! Congratulations to everyone for a great season. And congratulations to Coach Porter for making it happen. Go Wolves!

Reply