Returning on a high note

For the first time in over two years, the Vocal Program will return to the stage with a Winter Showcase on Dec. 27 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.
SUVAN CHOWDHURY | PEXELS
The Winter Showcase will be led by students behind the curtain and on the stage.

Responsible for organizing school showcases, the Vocal Program is taking on the challenge of orchestrating a Winter Showcase which will consist of performances of different musical pieces the Vannaires vocal group and chamber singers have been working on throughout the semester. 

The showcase is scheduled to take place on Dec. 27 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium. Ticket prices and sale dates have not yet been determined.

“So far there is no news on the tickets but we will talk to the student store and Ms. Araña soon to figure out how it will go,” Vocal Program President Emilie Morales said.

This is the first show that the Vocal Program has had since before the start of the pandemic. During the pandemic, the Vocal Program hosted two oratorios that took place online, simulating the events that would have transpired in-person.

The program consists of the chamber and vannaire singers that were chosen from auditions from the start of the year. The choir classes are also a part of the vocal program. 

Aside from the help provided by the Performing Arts Magnet Coordinator, Ms. Fanny Araña, music teacher Mr. Robert Eisenhart and other faculty members, the program has become primarily student-led due to the absence of the previous music teacher.

This change in leadership has required a considerable degree of hard work and dedication from the students engaged in the program, including sophomore Sebastian Estrada.

“I think that it’s definitely been a challenge,” he said. “We now have to figure it all out by ourselves. We have some experience, but not the experience we need in order to teach a class.”

Despite the struggles that the members of the Vocal Program have endured, they plan to put on a festive and fun show for everyone to enjoy. 

“It’s going to be a historic moment for us,” Morales said. “It’s going to be such a big experience having this be led by students. Definitely come see the show.”