Web Slinging In Europe

Sony presents the first trailer for “Spider-Man: Far From Home."

Sony Pictures Entertainment

Spider-Man+and+Aunt+May+return+in+the+highly-anticipated+sequel+to+%22Homecoming.%22+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Web Slinging In Europe

Spider-Man and Aunt May return in the highly-anticipated sequel to

Spider-Man and Aunt May return in the highly-anticipated sequel to "Homecoming."

MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT

MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT

MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT

By Jessica Eusebio, Entertainment Editor

Our friendly neighborhood spider is not dead. He is actually just swinging to Europe.

Despite his emotional death in “Avengers: Infinity War,” Peter Parker is alive and well and returning for his own debut film, “Spider-Man: Far From Home.”

While Peter travels abroad to Europe on a class trip, S.H.I.E.L.D director Nick Fury enlists the help of Spider-Man to fight off the Elementals, extradimensional humanoid creatures that possess powers of natural elements.

Based on the comic books, the Elementals consist of Hellfire, Magnum, Hydron and Zephyr, who respectively control fire, earth, water and air.

The trailer opens with Aunt May, who after discovering her nephew’s secret identity, hosts a charity event with Peter as Spider-Man. The scene follows up with Peter packing for his trip and leaving his superhero suit at home to enjoy his summer vacation. To his surprise, Peter meets Nick Fury and agrees to help fight off the Elementals.

The trailer features many comedic moments, including Peter’s reaction to Happy Hogan flirting with his aunt. Another scene involves Director Fury unexpectedly shooting Peter’s friend, Ned, with a tranquilizer.

“Spider-Man: Far From Home” will feature a team-up between Spider-Man and Mysterio, a villainous illusionist who first appeared in “The Amazing Spider-Man #13” (1964) comic book issue.

Although the wizard is presented as an ally fighting against the Elementals, fans are speculating that Mysterio is actually a villain posing as a hero.

Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio

MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT
Jake Gyllenhaal stars as the iconic Spider-Man villain, Mysterio.

The trailer also introduces Spider-Man’s new suits: a red-and-black suit with wings and a black stealth suit.

Sony also released an international trailer that contains scenes that were cut from the main trailer. The international trailer opens with Peter and his friends passing through airport TSA. The custom agent opens Peter’s case, formerly belonging to his late Uncle Ben, and finds his Spider-Man suit, which was packed by Aunt May. However, the agent was more concerned about a hidden banana.

Spider-Man suit

MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT
Spider-Man’s suit in Peter Parker’s briefcase.

Although fans may be confused about how Spider-Man isn’t a pile of ashes after the decimation in “Infinity War,” Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige stated that “Far From Home” takes place after the events of “Infinity War” and its highly anticipated sequel, “Endgame.”

“Spider-Man: Homecoming” Director Jon Watts is returning to direct the sequel. “Far From Home” stars Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio, Jacob Batalon as Ned, Zendaya as MJ, Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.  

The upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe film will premiere in theaters on July 5.

About the Writer
Jessica Eusebio, Entertainment Editor

Jessica Eusebio is the Entertainment Editor for The Mirror at Van Nuys High School. She is currently a senior in her second year publication in the Journalism...