Unleash The Phoenix

The “X-Men” franchise puts a dark spin on Jean Grey

20TH CENTURY FOX

Actress Sophie Turner stars as Jean Grey in the upcoming installment of the

Actress Sophie Turner stars as Jean Grey in the upcoming installment of the "X-Men" franchise

20TH CENTURY FOX

20TH CENTURY FOX

By Jessica Eusebio, Entertainment Editor

The Phoenix has returned.

Written and directed by Simon Kinberg, who is known for his works on “X-Men: Days of Future Past” and “Logan,” “Dark Phoenix” is an upcoming sci-fi action film that will premiere in theaters on June 7, 2019.

The film is the 12th installment of the “X-Men” franchise and takes place in 1992, nearly a decade after the events of “X-Men: Apocalypse.”

Now recognized by the public as a national superhero organization, the X-Men, led by Professor Charles Xavier, utilize their abilities to protect mankind and embark on a rescue mission in space. However, Jean Grey, one of the mutants, gets struck by the Phoenix, a mysterious cosmic force that makes her more powerful but unstable. Professor X, Magneto, Cyclops and the other mutants must save Jean from her possession and help her control her abilities.

The trailer features the X-Men embodying the classic blue-and-yellow suit from the comic books. It also provides glimpses of Genosha, a fictional island that serves as a mutant sanctuary in the comics.

The footage also indicates heavy tension between Professor X and Magneto, who will be arguing about how to deal with Jean. Members of the X-Men will be divided and uncertain on who to side with.

This isn’t the first time that the X-Men faced the wrath of Jean Grey — or the Phoenix. Grey is also the antagonist responsible for many deaths in “The Last Stand,” the third installment of the franchise. However, the events of “Days of Future Past” merely wipes those events from existence.

“Dark Phoenix” stars James McAvoy as Professor Charles Xavier, Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr/Magneto, Jennifer Lawrence as Raven/Mystique, Nicholas Hoult as Hank McCoy/Beast, Sophie Turner as Jean Grey/Phoenix, Tye Sheridan as Scott Summers/Cyclops, Alexandra Shipp as Ororo Munroe/Storm, Kodi Smit-McPhee as Nightcrawler, Evan Peters as Peter Maximoff/Quicksilver and Jessica Chastain as Smith.

About the Writer
Jessica Eusebio, Entertainment Editor

Jessica Eusebio is the Entertainment Editor for The Mirror at Van Nuys High School. She is currently a senior in her second year publication in the Journalism...