Megan’s Law: The feud between Nicki Minaj and Megan Thee Stallion

The two rap artists have been squaring off on social media and through their music.
While both artists have traded blows in their clash, Minaj is currently taking the matter way too far with her song Big Foot.
While both artists have traded blows in their clash, Minaj is currently taking the matter way too far with her song “Big Foot.”
KRISTINA CHARSHAVDZHYAN AND DAIMLER KOCH

I was scrolling on TikTok before a variety of videos of “Megan vs. Nicki” beef came upon my for-you page. 

Curious to see the fresh celebrity news that was sweeping the internet, I quickly searched it up on X. 

The top trending hashtag read “Megan’s Law.” I asked myself why Megan’s Law, a federal law making information on registered sex offenders publicly available, would be trending.

My questions would all be answered after hearing Megan Thee Stallion’s new song “Hiss” and listening intensely to the lyrics. In short, it’s a song for Megan to “clear her name” and “clap back,” as mentioned in the intro of the song when it states, “I just wanna kick this s*** off by sayin’ f*** y’all/ I ain’t gotta clear my name on a motherfu***** thing.” 

However, the lyric in particular that has been blowing up is “These ho**s don’t be mad at Megan, these ho**s mad at Megan’s Law.” That’s where Nicki Minaj comes in. This diss was targeted towards Minaj’s husband, Kenny Petty, who was convicted of assaulting a 16-year old girl and registered as a second-degree sex offender.  

As soon as this song dropped, fans of both artists took to social media to express how they felt. Some TikTok videos were made claiming, “I love Nicki Minaj, but Megan told no lies.” Other fans claimed, “The news that he’s a horrible person has BEEN out there. I’m glad Megan brought it to light.” 

The song “Hiss,” dropped on Jan. 26, made headlines, left many people breathless and brought attention to truly how horrible Minaj’s husband truly was. I knew that like other celebrity dramas, this would die down in a week as long as nothing brought more attention to the situation. As soon as “Hiss” made deadlines, Minaj quickly hopped on Instagram live to bombard Megan with insults, even going as far as to say to “conjure up her mother and apologize.” Not even two days later, on Jan. 28, Minaj dropped a song called “Big Foot.”

The title “Big Foot” is referencing the fact that Stallion’s ex-boyfriend, Tory Lanez, shot her in the foot after an altercation on July 12, 2020. The subsequent release of the song, and the cover, which was sloppily made by AI , made it clear to many fans that this was a desperate attempt at a response to Megan’s song. However, Minaj was quick to shoot down accusations on Twitter/X, claiming that “Big Foot” was, in fact, not a diss track. 

In the song, Minaj made fun of Megan’s dead mother in the lyric “How you f*** your mother man when she die?” As a direct response to the “Megan’s Law” lyric, Minaj wrote, “This lil beggin’ who** talkin’ bout Megan’s Law. For a free beat, you could hit Megan raw.” 

Upon listening, I knew that the rapper who was once named the “Queen of Rap” now had her crown officially dethroned after this disaster of a song. I wondered how an artist who made songs like “Chun-Li” or the world famous “Super Bass” now resorted to such a low blow of a song. 

On top of all this, it’s obvious that Stallion told no lies in her song. One could argue that Minaj was just defending her family, but it’s hard to gain support when that family member has a criminal charge as a child sex offender. 

Overall, the public opinion agrees that she has lost her mind over such an insignificant insult, and it truly shows that her ego is too easily bruised for someone of her stature. It has become embarrassing to witness, and I, along with many fans, can agree that Minaj needs to sit down and be quiet.