The Dominance Continues

SPORTS

The Dominance Continues

BOYS BASKETBALL: A late rally in the fourth, seals a playoff victory for Van Nuys.

By Devin Tse
February 16, 2018

Dribbling their way into the first round of playoffs on the home court, the Van Nuys Boys Basketball Team defended their title against Lincoln on Thursday, Feb.15.

The match began with an offensive stagger as both teams maintained their defensive pressure on the court. Things would stir up as star guard and co-captain Tyree Winborn poured in 21 points in the second quarter. The Wolves held their slim lead in the second half with Winborn’s offensive attack.

The Tigers responded by knocking down several threes from the Wolves. As the game reached the pivotal fourth quarter, Matthew Sykes ramped up his defense, eventually accumulating a total of 6 blocks throughout the night. Star guard and co-captain Ethan Quiambao also aided Skyes with several tough layups. The Wolves ultimately seized victory with several timely threes from Mijuhaim Ali.

“We need to maintain focus and treat every game like it is our last,” said Winborn.

Final Score: 68-55

NEXT GAME: Van Nuys vs Los Angeles on Wednesday, Feb.21 at 7:00 pm.

Devin Tse is the Sports Editor for The Mirror. He is a junior and a second-year member at the Van Nuys High School journalism class.

Devin enjoys watching and participating in sporting events. He is currently on the Boys Varsity Volleyball Team. Besides covering sports for The Mirror, he is also interested in the other activities occurring at Van Nuys High School.

Follow Us!

FacebookInstagramTwitter