Wolves Shutout Mendez Jags

SPORTS

Running Toward Victory

FOOTBALL: The Van Nuys Football team obtains their first win of the season.

By Nazaret Jarekian | The Mirror Staff

Heading into Friday night, the Van Nuys Wolves were looking to do more than just obtain their first win of the season, they were looking to win their first game under new head Coach Mike Williams, facing the 0 and 2 Jaguars from Mendez High School Jaguars.

Former USC star and NFL first round pick for the Detroit Lions, Coach Mike Williams, was looking to lead the Wolves to a bounce-back victory after suffering a defeat at Franklin High School, 28-16.

Before the game, when asked how he intends on capitalizing on the opportunity of facing a winless team who suffered two 40-point blowouts in the prior weeks, Coach Williams replied “Well, they’re coming off two losses , we’re coming off a loss ourselves, so we are in no position to feel all high and mighty. We got to go out and take care of our business and get our first home win of the season and first win of the season. We expect to do well, but we still have to go out and earn it.”

And that is exactly what the Wolves did, went out and earned wins. The Junior Varsity team 60-0 score, while the Varsity team triumphed 49-0.

“The Van Nuys running game continued to excel while the defense had a complete shutout against the Jaguars.”

The JV team had a stellar performance, completely dominating Mendez High. The Varsity followed suit starting off great, scoring their first touchdown off a run by #28 Senior Eric Castro, less than four minutes into the game.

They did not stop there, scoring 35 points in the first quarter including Senior Quarterback George Garcia running 60 yards in two plays for a touchdown.

The Van Nuys running game continued to excel while their defense had a complete shut out against Mendez High, keeping them scoreless all game.

Heading to the half, Van Nuys was leading 42 to 0, but during a stretch in the 3rd quarter, the offense gained penalties after penalties.

However, the running game continued to excel, leading to the game’s seventh and last scoring play of the game, propelling the team to a 49-0 blowout victory.

The Wolves are looking to keep their positive momentum heading into their match with Monroe High School next Friday in hopes of achieving their first win on the road for the season.

NEXT GAME: Wolves at Monroe High School on Friday, Sept. 16. JV at 4 p.m. and Varsity at 7 p.m.

Follow Us!

FacebookInstagramTwitter