Bee Buzz Buzz

By Keshan Huang

Editor-in-Chief

Aside from those four who were stung, students were not harmed as they passed through the area where the bees were swarming…

CAMPUS NEWS

Buzz of the Day

January 31, 2017

CAMPUS NEWS: The honeybees flying from their beehive in the main building created a distraught situation for students passing by but were taken care of by pest control specialists.

Stinging four unsuspecting students on Monday, Jan. 30, usually innocuous honeybees erupted from their hive in an electrical panel near the south doors of the main building.

The buzz of the bees reverberated around the campus when Assistant Principal Gary Kaloostian announced their presence over the PA before lunch.

Two pest control specialists were called to VNHS to safely remove the bees and keep them from making further contact with the students.

Aside from those four who were stung, students were not harmed as they passed through the area where the bees were swarming, around the causeway between the main building and science building, during passing periods and lunch.

First and foremost, the pest control specialists worked to let out the queen and worker bees by accessing tunnels within the electrical panel with a ladder extending up to the second floor on the outside of the main building.

Despite his expertise but limited knowledge, Carlos could not confirm how long the beehive has been there.

The pest control specialists are not considered beekeepers; they control, vacuum or bag the bees, but they do not take them or kill them.

Fortunately, the four incidents of bee stings did not lead to any allergic reactions. Symptoms of bee allergies include severe swelling and respiratory problems, according to Ms. Evelyn Paalisbo, the school nurse.

This is not the first time Van Nuys High School has experienced a bee problem. An incident occurred three years ago on the second floor of the main building in roughly the same vicinity.

PHOTO BY
MIRROR STAFF

Facebook

Instagram