Magical Homecoming Dance

By Stefanie Tyo

The Mirror Staff

“The quad looked beautiful and the ASB members had a good time working at the dance. All in all it was an extremely fun night for the students.”

CAMPUS NEWS

An Unforgettable Night in Neverland

The 2016 Homecoming Dance is a magical moment under the stars

Magical nights don’t just happen in the movies.

The annual Homecoming Dance, A Night in Neverland, was held on Saturday, Oct. 22, 2016 under the stars on the Van Nuys High campus quad.

After a successful Homecoming football game the night before, students traded in their jerseys and face paint for tuxedos and formal dresses in preparation for the night ahead.

When the dance started at seven o’clock, extravagantly dressed couples and friends lined up at the ticket booth at the side gate.

Upon admission, each student received a different colored glow stick and were led through a small candle lit hallway into the quad. The quad was transformed from a simple lot to a dazzling dance floor, with strings of lights wrapped around trees and colorful candles lighting the path.

The most noticeable adornment was the large golden sign reading “Neverland” that the students that was posted at the entrance of the quad. Going past this sign, students made their way to dance floor to bust out moves with their friends or share a tender moment slow dancing with their date.

At the flagpole, large tents were set up containing food and refreshments—water, cupcakes, tacos, and cookies for the hungry visitors.

As the night went on, more and more couples entered the dance floor and a large enthusiastic crowd filled the quad, singing to the music.

At about nine o’clock, a loudspeaker interrupted the music and the main event began: the reading of the Homecoming Court. The court winners who were honored were freshmen Bryson Tindsley and Christine Rohm, sophomores Allen Quezada and Nayeli Ruiz, juniors Kezai Jones and Marisol Zuniga. The King and Queen, Christian Suarez and Steffany Alaverdyan were presented last.

The winners mounted the stage and received a standing ovation from the crowd as they were officially crowned. The elected court then returned back to the dance as the partying continued on into the night, eventually ending around 11pm.

This was definitely a night to be remembered by students and staff members who helped chaperone the event. Most significantly, it will be remembered by the ASB members who set up and prepared the entire dance themselves.

Without the work of devoted ASB members, under the direction of Ms. Jan Carr, ASB Advisor, such a night would not have been possible.

The students’ volunteer efforts, hard work and determination paid off, accordinging to most who attended.

“It was very successful,” said Ms. Carr. “The quad looked beautiful and the ASB members had a good time working at the dance. All in all it was an extremely fun night for the students.”
Although this may not be the only dance of the school year, it will definitely be remembered as a magical night under the stars for the students who attended.