Solo Showcase strikes a chord with its audience

The second Solo Showcase allowed students beyond the Choir Program to express themselves through the art of singing on the Donna Hubbard Stage.
Ami Singer (10th) unexpectedly calls her grandma on stage in an emotional serenade.
THE MIRROR | CHRISTOPHER MONTERROSA

On Friday, Nov. 3, works from numerous well-known artists such as Laufey, Bruno Mars and Billie Eilish were brought to life through the voices of the Choir Program and beyond. Each student incorporated their own charm to the songs, as shown through their unique voices.

Recently, with the hard work of the Choir Program, the Solo Showcase was made possible for the second time, once again bringing delight to its audience. Students were able to display their talents for these audience members. The performers successfully trained on their own time and asked for choir teacher Mr. Wilson’s assistance when necessary.

The lineup of the solo showcase itself was organized by Mr. Wilson, who arranged the order of the songs and chose the performers as he pleased. Mr. Wilson encouraged his students to devote multiple hours into their solo performances to produce the best result. And despite the hectic schedule and dress rehearsals of many in the show, the performers showed spectacular maturity and pulled off an entertaining show.

In the case of some performers, it was difficult to gain courage and step on stage, but they were then greeted by an encouraging audience.

“Honestly, I was super excited to do the show especially after such a crazy week,” sophomore Krystelle Arcinas said. “Although I will say it was still pretty nerve-racking, the second I stepped on stage it didn’t feel real. You really couldn’t see anyone but you knew the audience was there. Either way I’m glad I enjoyed it and got to see my friends perform and hang out backstage!”

Each student carefully chose their songs. Many chose ones that held significant meaning in their lives or simply because they liked it.

Senior Shamuel Robledo chose his song because of how the music and lyrics were conveyed.

“I chose to sing ‘When We Were Young’ by Adele because it’s a powerful and emotionally resonant song,” he said. “The lyrics and melody spoke to me, and I felt a personal connection to the message of nostalgia and reflection on the past.”
Other students felt connections to the song, but opted instead to pick songs they knew would provide a great performance for the audience and a challenge to themselves. This was the case for junior Maya Diaz.

“My song was ‘Home’ from ‘The Wiz,’ a broadway reimagining of ‘The Wizard of Oz,’” she said. “The songs were written primarily in soul and rock genres so the choice fits my voice very well. I was able to combine musical theater with a genre I specialize in with the use of carefully chosen dynamics.”

Taking on the courage to perform on stage is no easy feat, but organizing a solo in a matter of only a few weeks is even harder, especially for those playing an instrument such as junior Adrianna Bean.

“I was really excited to perform my song, because as I’ve performed in front of people numerous times before, I’d never played guitar and sang together, and ‘The Only Exception,’ which is the song I performed, was the perfect way to combine those skills,” she said.

The Choir Program strives to increase their involvement within the school community, and therefore chose to bring people from beyond the Choir Program itself to the stage. So if you have a vocal or instrumental talent you would like to show off at the next Solo Showcase in the spring, be sure to talk to Mr. Wilson in room 425.