For teens, art can be the escape from mental health woes

Teens are grappling with toxic perfectionism from school far more now than ever. Artistic expression is the answer to this problem.
PIXABAY
With the rising academic pressure being placed on them, teenagers are facing record-high amounts of anxiety and depression. They may be able to find some relief, however, by expressing themselves artistically.

The grades shown in bold font on Schoology, the set expectations of the “perfect student” displayed so vividly on social media articles it’s unavoidable. It all adds up. Heartbeats rise through anticipation as test scores are handed back and to-do lists are piling up throughout the day.

Today, teens are faced with the expectation of balancing school and family life, as well as any other extracurriculars they may be involved in. Students are practically competing against each other to fit the academic and social standards of school, and, in some cases, their own families. This commonly leads to severely low self esteem as well as a great need for outside support.

Numerous studies demonstrate that adults are unaware, or ignorant, of teen mental health problems; therefore teens are hesitant or unable to bring up their personal struggles, even to their own parents.

A study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that social stigma and a lack of information or access to care also keeps many teens from getting help. According to the National Institute of Health, 20 percent of American children and adolescents have a diagnosable mental condition, yet only 0.6 to 16 percent of them actually seek help.

However, sharing personal stories about mental health can offer encouragement and connection, helping teens feel like they are not alone. That’s why the NIH asked high schoolers to describe these challenges in their own words for the “2022 Speaking Up About Mental Health!” essay contest. Their research indicates that by providing platforms for students to express their mental health struggles, they will feel less alone and may even feel more relieved. 

Teens, in general, need more mental health support, and integrating multiple sources that will ease poor mental health is a research-backed solution. This evidence-based change would likely improve high schoolers’ mental health and provide awareness as to where they can resort to for support when unable to rely on parents. Teens deserve to receive as much support as they can get during this difficult time in their lives and art itself may help convey feelings and ease the process of approaching adolescence.

Expressing oneself through art can be a short-term solution to this widespread issue. It is evident that the school has students with artistic and advanced minds. The programs offered here at school serve as a way to support the students and their interests, but some go to the extreme during their free time, extending beyond their creative minds. From performing in theater productions, to participating in out of school competitions, students have relied on art as a way to express themselves. At times, we are faced with a challenge to propose the right words to convey our feelings, but expressing them through art is a common alternative.

A stable mind is found through discarding the “perfect student” title and releasing the artistic side. Most students fail to realize that they have done too little of what inspires them and therefore continue to consume unhealthy ideals, as the spark that once beamed curiosity and creativity fades away.