Pine and Crane: a small but bold eatery serving authentic and flavorful Taiwanese plates

This DTLA and Silverlake based restaurant serves the best small but flavorful plates perfect for dining out with friends or a date.
THE MIRROR | KATRINA GOMEZ
The atmosphere and comforting smell of the food you’ll love the restaurant even before you try the food.

If you’re ever in LA or have a friend you want to impress, Pine and Crane is one of those restaurants that has yet to bore anyone who goes. From dishes like mapo tofu to bok choy potstickers, the menu has a variety of Taiwanese foods with a unique twist of their own.  

The Silverlake location has a very fast moving atmosphere with new customers coming in each time you look away. Although the place seems too squished and small to fit everyone, anywhere you sit makes you feel at home and staff are quick to make more room.  The decorations and ambience of the restaurant also present the modern and minimalist vibe popular in LA. 

Beside the interior of the restaurant, the dishes are the star of the show. Some of my favorites are the Dan Dan Noodles, Mapo Tofu, Beef Noodle Soup and their Bok Choy Potstickers which is part of their many vegan options. They also serve some of the best rice dishes, my favorite being the Three Cup Jidori Chicken. This hot dish is served in a small bowl but packs the best umami and sweet flavors from the sticky sauce and the chicken is so tender it can be swallowed all in one bite. But from my first visit, the Bok Choy Potstickers impressed me the most. If you love bok choy and greens this small plate is for you, not only does it serve the best savory and fresh flavors but the sauce enhances the bite even more. 

Alongside Pine and Crane’s unique dishes, their beverage options also put them at one of the must visit restaurants in LA. They have fan favorite Taiwanese drinks from milk tea, taro milk tea and passion fruit tea. The sweetness and flavors in the drink not only set the bar high but the freshness of the ingredients are also present. In their taro milk tea the boba has the perfect texture and real taro chunks are mixed in with the creaminess of the milk base. On this side of the menu they also serve loose leaf teas like jasmine and chrysanthemum which perfectly balances all the flavors in the food. 

Overall, I highly recommend trying out Pine and Crane if you’re looking for a place to have a first date or try out for yourself. The atmosphere and decorations are a plus if you like fast moving and bustling background noise, and even better if you love good food. If you can’t decide on a menu item, the dishes I mentioned before are a must-try at this masterly establishment. Their downtown LA location is at 1120 S Grand Ave Suite 101, Los Angeles, CA 90015 open on Thursday from 5-10 p.m. and on Monday-Sunday from 8-10 p.m. and their Silverlake location is at 1521 Griffith Park Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90026 open at 12-10 p.m. from Monday-Sunday but closed on Tuesday. 

8/10 highly recommend going to this restaurant!