Marathon running
Going the extra mile

THE MIRROR | SAMANTHA RAMOS
Ressa Partida is always pushing herself to new limits, as marathon training has been a part of her routine since her high school graduation.

The abridged version of this article appeared in the Feb. 2023 print edition of The Mirror. This is an uncut version.

Growing up, Ms. Reesa Partida was exposed to the world of endurance sports through her mother, an athlete who spent her free time swimming and running marathons. It was this early exposure that sparked her interest. At the age of nine, she had the opportunity to witness a triathlon in person, solidifying her passion. Now, as a Physical Education, Dance and Musical Theater teacher, Ms. Partida continues to inspire others to pursue their passions.

Ms. Partida never imagined that running would play such a significant role in her life. In high school, the thought of hitting the pavement held little appeal for her. 

But despite her initial reluctance, she persisted. And as she graduated high school and transitioned into college, she found running to be the perfect form of exercise. 

“It was an easy, fast exercise to do. I could squeeze it in between classes in college and stuff.”

“I am very competitive with myself, I wanna better myself, push myself to do something that I might not have thought was possible.”

— Ms. Reesa Partida

Running has become an integral part of her daily routine. She wakes up at 3:30 am every morning to run and train for marathons and averages between five to 20 miles per day, depending on her schedule.

Her dedication and hard work have paid off as she consistently places in the top three in most of the marathons she participates in.

In 2016, Ms. Partida took on an even greater challenge, running her first ultramarathon. The 33-mile trail race up a mountain took her five hours and 42 minutes to complete. 

She strives to push through the discomfort of being tired and find appropriate fuel while running.

“If it’s a workout, like intervals, I want to go really fast, so I’m thinking about form and pushing myself and trying not to throw up,” she said. 

Despite her current hamstring injury and rheumatoid arthritis, Ms. Partida is determined not to let these obstacles impede her progress. 

“Mentally, I’m pretty tough and I ignore the pain,” she said. “It’s hard, but I have to just focus on what’s next, not the pain I’m in.” 

However, pushing herself too hard has led to serious injuries in the past, including a hip tear requiring surgery during her college years. “I was grumpy, because I couldn’t run. But I knew I had to rest in order for it to heal properly.”

For those considering taking up running, Ms. Partida offers this advice: “It is hard, and it’s okay to think that. Running is hard until you get used to it. You just have to not give up.”