Last-minute college app tips: Advice from a former application evaluator

As the deadline to submit college applications looms right around the corner, seniors are faced with the question of what college admissions officers are looking for in a potential student.

PIXABAY

With deadlines approaching faster than you can say “application”

By Zachary Skolnick, Staff Writer

The abridged version of this article appeared in the Nov. 2022 print edition of The Mirror. This is an uncut version.

It is important to understand what makes one college application stand out from the rest. By far, Ms. Nora Kayserian, Magnet counselor and former college applications evaluator for Occidental College — President Barack Obama’s alma mater — feels the most important aspect is to be diverse and unique. Diversity should show in a student’s academics, accomplishments, extracurriculars, and essays.

“Many factors can make a student diverse,” she said. “That could be sexual orientation, race, gender, or social economic status.” 

While every student is diverse, expressing unique qualities can be tricky.  Plus, it is often hard to brag about oneself. Staying humble on your application may be a sacrifice. 

“I can guarantee that every student on campus has a strength that will make them stand out and be unique,” A-G Counselor Mr. Greg Achen said. “It is all about reframing something in your mind. Only you know your own aptitudes.”

“If something does not exist, be that trailblazer and make it happen,” A-G Counselor Mr. Greg Achen said.

It’s also important to be yourself, make sure to show colleges what you can bring to their campuses. One way to do that is in your written responses. Ms. Kayserian points out that essays should feel authentic.

“Creativity goes a long way,” she said. “It’s not like an essay you write for English class, it is more like a journal prompt. But the best essays are the ones that show vulnerability. Ones that touch the heart of the reader. Don’t be afraid to be who you are.”

Showing genuine interest helps you stand out. For schools that require supplemental essays, where the applicant must explain why they want to attend, it is essential to do your research. 

“Students who have gotten to know the campus and the programs, and who can visualize themself at the college campus have a better chance,” Ms. Kayserian said.  

Try to find out what the school has to offer, reviewing the classes and majors, or looking into what the surrounding city has. Many colleges have virtual tours on their websites, intended for students to get a first hand look at what their life would be like if they attended.

Aside from essays and extracurricular activities, academic life can be a factor as well. Depending on the school, one section can outweigh the other and play a big part in an applicant’s admission.  

“It really depends,” Mr. Greg said. “Overall, colleges want well-rounded students who have the academics, community services, and the involvement in school activities. If something does not exist, be that trailblazer and make it happen. Stand out.” 

Ms. Kayserian reminds students that the name of the college they attend says nothing about what they could and will become. 

“No matter what college you go to, you can make a huge impact, but you could also go to a great college and not make an impact at all,” she said. “It’s not the college you go to, it’s the impact you make with the knowledge that you have.”

For help with your college applications and essay, visit the College Office, located in room 305. They can provide resources and support. They ask that all students, no matter their grade, join their Schoology group so they can stay informed and up to date.