Individuals anticipate approaching College Month events

The school’s staff has been preparing for a series of upcoming events beginning on Tuesday in commemoration of College Month.
BEVERLY REGINO | The Mirror

To kick off the beginning of College Month in October, the school’s Career and College Center will host various college-related events starting Tuesday. 

The first event is a field trip to CSU College Night, taking place Tuesday at the Pasadena Convention Center from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Students of all grade levels are welcome to attend for free to meet with all 23 California State University campuses throughout the country, where they will learn important information about financial aid, the application process, and more. Those who did not sign up for the field trip through the College and Career Center may attend independently. 

Colleges MIT, Haverford, and the Air Force Academy will visit the school’s lecture hall the same week to give presentations about their programs. Haverford College will visit Tuesday at 1 p.m., MIT Admissions will come Wednesday at 1 p.m. and the Air Force Academy will visit Thursday during nutrition and lunch. 

On Friday, there will be a college-themed door decorating contest judged by the students of art teacher Ms. Long Hayden. 

The goal here is to get students to realize what college journey their teachers have had and to celebrate their teachers’ journey,” College counselor Ms. Jo Duke said. “We’re hoping that these door decorations will stay up the whole month.

Other upcoming events include the College Fair and Career Readiness Festival that will occur on Oct. 4 where students can gain career and scholarship information, as well as a panel discussion for teachers to share their college experiences. Further details regarding times, dates, and more will be announced soon. 

Ms. Duke encourages students to take these events as an opportunity to explore their options after graduation.  

“It’s expanding their awareness of what’s possible out there,” she said. “The college experience is about the people you meet and the connections you make. It would widen your world. Something that I try to say to students as often as I can manage is that it’s important that all of us live at our fullest capacity.”

View Comments (1)
$385
$20000

Angelica Venturina, Print Editor-in-Chief
Angelica Venturina is the Print Editor-in-Chief. A senior now, this is her last year of journalism. She likes reading historical fantasy books, creative writing, video editing, watching Korean dramas, listening to music and playing with her cat, Chowder. Outside of journalism, Angelica is involved with TASSEL Cambodia and First Gen. In the future, she hopes to visit the Philippines again and spend time with her relatives there while enjoying Filipino street food. After graduation, Angelica wants to pursue a career as a surgical technologist.
$385
$20000

• R

RentonSep 27, 2022 at 10:42 am

Events are always awesome. Especially college-drives! We recently serviced our photo booth for CSUN! More photos can be found here at https://photoboothrentlosangeles.com/

Reply