5 MINUTES WITH…
Social Science Teacher Mr. Jonathan Mitchell

Passionate about the arts and culture, Mr. Mitchell humorously shares how his interests with future artists transformed his life and brought him into the classroom.
Mr.+Mitchell+is+excited+to+hear+all+of+the+arguments+that+students+will+introduce.+
RUSHMIA HOSSAIN | JSA
Mr. Mitchell is excited to hear all of the arguments that students will introduce.

Lover of all things art, social science teacher Mr. Jonathan Mitchell was born in Detroit, Michigan and later moved to west Los Angeles where he grew up. After graduating from Santa Monica High School, he set out to UCLA and majored in psychology with the dream of becoming a famous actor. After continuous rejections, Mr. Mitchell realized he wanted to become a teacher. He began his career in education in the 90s, which proved challenging, but after teaching a certain class of high-schoolers, his love for the profession quickly grew. Mr. Mitchell has been a teacher ever since, and currently teaches AP Psychology and AP Art History on campus.

1. What are some of your hobbies? 

“I love sports, art and YouTube podcasts. I like to go around and study more about psychology and art, just to discover different things.” 

2. What is your favorite movie?

“I would have to give you two: ‘Fight Club’ and ‘Forrest Gump’.”

3. What is your biggest regret?

“My biggest regret is that I’m not the star of ‘Fight Club’. A long time ago, I auditioned for a small art film and I didn’t get the job, as usual, but the director liked me for some reason. In the end, it came down to me and some no-name guy, Brad Pitt.”

4. What makes you the most angry? 

“Parking tickets. They’re way too costly. Some people wind up losing their cars, jobs and suffer huge financial hardships because the city wants to gauge them with excessive fees. When I retire, I’m running for mayor and will reduce ticket fees by 90%.” 

5. What is the biggest learning experience you’ve had? 

“Taking the subway at night in New York City. I learned about human nature.” 

6. What is your biggest weakness?

“People always tell you to never tell people your biggest weakness, but mine would have to be organization. I think all my students can notice this.”

7. What is one thing that not a lot of people know about you?

“I was born in Eminem’s neighborhood.” 

8. What are three things you can’t live without and why?

“Coffee, football and exercise. These things keep me sane.”