5 MINUTES WITH…
Dance Company member
Katherine Kipnis

Kipnis reveals how she struts her stuff on the stage and the lessons she’s learned behind the curtains
BEVERLY REGINO | THE MIRROR
Katherine Kipnis spent eight years doing rhythmic gymnastics prior to becoming a member of the Dance Company

What made you interested in joining the Dance Company? 

“I always loved dancing and when I saw videos of their performances, I decided I wanted to be a part of the company.”

What is your favorite part about performing?

“I am able to express myself and entertain people. I hope to make a lot of people happy.”

Did you do dance before you got into Dance Company? What was it like when you first joined?

“I did rhythmic gymnastics for eight years, but I also danced for fun around the house as a little kid. Everyone was very sweet and supportive when I first joined.”

What’s the process like preparing for a performance? 

“We practice a lot and focus on different parts of the dances until we perfect them.”

What makes dance important to you? 

“Dance is important to me because it’s a way to help me express myself and let me come out of my shell. It is also one of my main passions, which is why I love it so much.”

How do you ensure you stay strong and fit enough to perform? 

“During warm-ups, we include some workouts to build muscle and cardio to build stamina.”

What do you think are your greatest strengths and weaknesses as a dancer?

“One of my greatest strengths as a dancer is that I am able to perform moves that involve flexibility. One of my greatest weaknesses as a dancer is that I am not always motivated to work hard.”

What has been the most valuable experience for you being in Dance Company? 

“Being on a team is one of the most amazing opportunities. Everyone is very supportive and always open to help when you need it most. Being on a team has taught me to be patient.”