Unconventional horror films to watch this Halloween

A seasonal streaming guide to the best fright-night horror movies to watch this Halloween, but with a twist!

Halloween is the time where going to haunted houses, watching horror movies, dressing up and eating and drinking pumpkin-flavored coffee is the norm. 

As Halloween slowly rolls around the corner, here is my top 10 list of the best horror movies. Warning, these films are not for the faint-hearted and are unconventional from what most would expect! 

Michael Myers scares audiences to this day in an infamous scene. (CREDIT: NATHAN HAN | THE MIRROR)
  1. Halloween (1978)

Watch on | Amazon Prime Video with premium subscription

This movie is a classic. It revolves around Halloween and gives the perfect nostalgic feeling for the spooky season. “Halloween” is one of the first “slasher films” to come to the cinema. When people think of slashers they typically think of gore and not being very scary, but Halloween, with Micheal Myers white pale fighting mask, gives it the one exception.

Nollywood film poster features creepy imagery and bright colors. (CREDIT: NATHAN HAN | THE MIRROR)
  1. End of The Wicked (1999) 

Watch on | Amazon Prime Video

This WTF Nigerian film is an eye-opener about the damage Witchcraft can cause in the lives of the careless and the unbelieving heart. It is crude, unpolished, utterly baffling but yet strangely compelling. 

Poster showcases the horror that lies within the film. (CREDIT: NATHAN HAN | THE MIRROR )
  1. Jacob’s Ladder (1990) 

Watch on | Amazon Prime Video for $2.99, YouTube TV for $2.99

After returning from serving time in the military in Vietnam, Jacob Singer has a disturbing time adjusting back to civilian life. This mainstream mind-bender about psychosis, death, heaven and hell left chills down my spine. Even with its disorienting leaps of logic and structure, it is a nerve-shattering experience. 

A tale of horror and heartbreak: Thakur Singh entrusts his property to Raghuveer, his elder son, and leaves nothing for Dhurjan, a devil worshipper. Dhurjan swears to bring death to the family. (CREDIT: SCREENSHOT | YOUTUBE)
  1. Tahkhana (1986) 

Watch on | Amazon Prime Video

Bollywood Horror! Thakur Surjeet Singh entrusts his poverty to Raghuveer, his eldest son, and leaves nothing for Dhurjan, a devil worshipper. Durjan swears to bring revenge onto the family. This movie is just a different level of disturbing. 

Illustration combined with image reels in viewers. (CREDIT: NATHAN HAN | THE MIRROR )
  1. Suffer Little Children (1983) 

Watch on | Amazon Prime Video for $0.99

Watching this gritty masterpiece, you will be wondering why is the audio so poor during the whole movie? It is, of course, intentional. A mute child arrives at a children’s home and starts terrorizing the other children with her demonic powers. 

Film holds generic poster that calls upon styles of the 80s. (CREDIT: NATHAN HAN | THE MIRROR )
  1. Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker AKA Night Warning (1981)

Watch on | Amazon Prime Video with a premium subscription, YouTube TV

Framed as a contemporary Oedipus tale, Susan Tyrell stars as a neurotic aunt overly obsessed with her nephew who finds himself at the center of a murder investigation run by a bigoted and homophobic cop played by Bo Svenson. This movie will have you yelling at the screen.

Iconic Japanese horror film that is in the Criterion Collection. (CREDIT: NATHAN HAN | THE MIRROR )
  1. Onibaba (1964)

Watch on | HBO Max 

Who doesn’t love Japanese horror classics? The movie follows a mother who is devastated when she learns her son has died away at war. It tells a story of lust, envy, wrath and betrayal which is wrapped up behind a hideous demon mask.

Blu-Ray reupload of the old movie shows generic scare. (CREDIT: NATHAN HAN | THE MIRROR )
  1. Angst (1983) 

Watch on | Amazon Prime Video with a premium subscription, Tubi

This beautifully photographed, morbid exercise depicts the grotesque capabilities of the disturbed. A killer is released from prison and breaks into a remote home to kill a woman, her handicapped son and pretty daughter.  

The haunting imagery remains in the minds forever.
  1. Begotten (1990) 

Watch on | Amazon Prime Video

Presented in a surreal, gory and entirely visual manner, “Begotten” tells of the death of religion, the abuse of nature by Man and a nihilistic outlook on what life ultimately is.

An iconic poster for the stop-motion style movie. (CREDIT: NATHAN HAN | THE MIRROR)
  1. Prometheus’ Garden (1988) 

Watch on | Amazon Prime Video

Clay Animation’s wizard Bruce Bickford takes inspiration from the Greek story of Prometheus. The utterly astounding hallucinogenic animations are unexplainable and gorgeous. I recommend not missing out on this one!