California becomes the first state to require covid-19 vaccinations for students

All California students ages 12 to 17 will be required to get the covid-19 vaccine beginning next semester or the following school year as stated by Governor Newsom following FDA approval.
Senior+Heidy+Rosales-Castillo+closes+her+eyes+as+she+gets+her+first+dose+of+the+covid-19+vaccine+on+Wednesday%2C+Sept.+29.+
ISABELLA THOMAS | THE MIRROR
Senior Heidy Rosales-Castillo closes her eyes as she gets her first dose of the covid-19 vaccine on Wednesday, Sept. 29.

Governor Gavin Newson plans to add the covid-19 vaccine to the list of mandatory immunizations for students ages 12 to 17, making California the first state to do so.

Once it receives Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) full approval, middle school and high school students will be required to be vaccinated earliest at the start of next semester and latest by July 1, 2022. 

California continues to lead the country in the lowest case rate. Governor Newson hopes to continue that trend by mandating vaccines for students. 

Senior Lorna Cariaga believes that the vaccine is better for students’ overall safety. 

“I think with the exemption of religious and medical reasons that students should get the vaccine,” Cariaga said. “The vaccine is a step closer to helping out with public safety and if students and teachers continue to get sick and not consider others it affects everyone.”

History teacher Mr. Douglas Kayne also is a firm believer in a vaccine mandate for public safety. 

“It’s a good idea.” Mr. Kayne said. “I think everybody should be vaccinated. Not only to help yourself but others as well.”