Swinging Into the Multiverse

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” introduces a universe of Spider-Men.

SONY PICTURES

SONY PICTURES

Miles Morales teams up with diverse Spider-Men in “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.”

By Jessica Eusebio, Entertainment Editor

Your friendly neighborhood web-slinger is now heading to animation.

Sony Pictures Entertainment released the second trailer of “Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse,” an upcoming action/adventure animation film that will premiere in theaters on Dec. 14.

After Wilson Fisk, also known as the Kingpin, uses a supercollider that opens a dimension, an old Peter Parker is sent to high school student Miles Morales’s universe. As Peter mentors Miles to become the next Spider-Man, the two cross paths with other Spider-Men from different universes.

The trailer previews six web-slingers from parallel dimensions: Peter Parker/Spider-Man, Miles Morales/Spider-Man, Gwen Stacy/Spider-Gwen, Peter Porker/Spider-Ham, Peter Parker/Spider-Man Noir and Peni Parker.

The trailer opens with references to past “Spider-Man” movies. As Peter Parker narrates his heroic fame, the trailer showcases the iconic upside-down kiss between himself and Mary Jane from “Spider-Man” (2001) and Peter stopping the train from “Spider-Man 2” (2004). The Lizard from “The Amazing Spider-Man” (2012) and Doctor Octopus from “Spider-Man 2” also appear in the trailer.

The film is directed by Bob Persichetti (“The Little Prince”), Peter Ramsey (“Rise of the Guardians”) and Rodney Rothman (“22 Jump Street”).

“Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse” stars the voices of Shameik Moore as Miles Morales, Hailee Steinfeld as Gwen Stacy, Jake Johnson as Peter Parker, Nicolas Cage as Spider-Man Noir, John Mulaney as Spider-Ham, Kimiko Glenn as Peni Parker and Liev Schreiber as Wilson Fisk/ The Kingpin.