No More Capes

ENTERTAINMENT

A 14-Year-Long Wait

MOVIES: Pixar’s beloved childhood superheroes will return to the big screen.

Lucas Shim | Entertainment Editor
April 16, 2018

Move over, kids. Let the adults watch the movie.

“Incredibles 2” is an animated Disney-Pixar film that will premiere in theaters in the US on June 15, 2018.

Directed by Brad Bird, who is known for his directorial works on classic childhood movies such as “The Iron Giant” and “The Incredibles,” the highly anticipated film will feature the voices of Craig T. Nelson as Bob Parr/Mr. Incredible, Holly Hunter as Helen Parr/Elastigirl, Sarah Vowell as Violet Parr, Huck Milner as Dashiell “Dash” Parr and John Jackson “Jack-Jack” Parr, Samuel L. Jackson as Lucius Best/Frozone and Bird himself as Edna Mode.

After 14 years since the release of the first installment, “Incredibles 2” will continue where the superpowered Parr family battles the Underminer in the preceding film’s ending. “The Incredibles” featured the concept of “supers” hiding in the shadows after being antagonized by the public for their collateral damage — until the Parrs heroically saved the city of Metroville from the villainous Syndrome and his robotic Omnidroid.

The sequel will focus on the family’s new life as well as the turning point of the public opinion on superheroes. A recent trailer featured the mother of the family, Elastigirl, and her new career in using her stretching ability to fight crime and prevent other calamities. Meanwhile, Mr. Incredible, who has super strength, takes his wife’s place in parenting their three powered children: Dash, Violet and Jack-Jack. While Dash is a speedster and Violet can turn invisible, Jack-Jack is a toddler with a multitude of uncontrollable abilities, including shapeshift, laserbeams, teleportation and others of unknown entity.

After praising “The Incredibles” in 2004, fans have been demanding since then for an immediate sequel. Although Disney and Pixar released other hit-films in the 14-year gap, including “Up,” “Frozen” and the recent movie, “Coco,” they still knew that “The Incredibles” was one of our childhood favorites. Just like the upcoming “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” the highly-anticipated sequel is expected to be worth the wait.

Lucas Shim is currently the Entertainment Editor for The Mirror. He joined during his sophomore year and is now in his second year publication as a junior.

Other than contributing to journalism, his hobbies include binge-watching movies and TV shows, brainstorming story ideas and writing screenplays for his future career as a screenwriter. He is also a volunteer at Pet Orphans of Southern California, where he socializes and walks dogs. When it comes to politics, Lucas chooses to remain open-minded regarding political parties and their ongoing governmental debates.

FacebookInstagramTwitter