A Race Against Time

ENTERTAINMENT

Superman’s Grandpa

TV SHOWS: Syfy’s new series “Krypton” expands the lore of Superman.

Lucas Shim | Entertainment Editor
April 6, 2018

It’s not a bird. It’s not a plane. It’s Superman’s home world.

“Krypton,” a new DC Comics 10-episode television series on Syfy Network, premiered on March 21 and features the revelations of Superman’s ancestors before his planet’s demise.

Created by David S. Goyer (Man Of Steel, The Dark Knight) and Damian Kindler (Sanctuary, Sleepy Hollow), the show stars Cameron Cuffe as Seg-El, Georgina Campbell as Lyta Zod, Elliot Cowan as Daron-Vex, Ann Ogbomo as Jayna-Zod, Aaron Pierre as Dev-Em, Rasmus Hardiker as Kem, Wallis Day as Nyssa, Ian McElhinney as Val-El, Shaun Sipos as Adam Strange and Blake Ritson as Brainiac.

“This is a show that comes before Superman, and it’s meant to help deepen and expand our understanding of that mythology. What do we know about Superman? That he was raised on Earth in Smallville, America, and he’s come to represent the values of truth, justice, and the American way. That’s all already baked in.” – Showrunner Cameron Welsh

The story takes place decades before the birth of Superman, also known as Kal-El. It revolves around Seg-El whose grandfather, Val, was executed for treason during his childhood for spreading rumors of an incoming alien threat. His actions led the council to bestow the House of El as “rankless,” forcing the family members to live in poverty.

A time-traveler from Earth, Adam Strange, warns Seg of the danger posed by Brainiac, the collector of worlds. According to Strange, Brainiac is attempting to wipe out Krypton, and Superman, his future grandson, which may create detrimental effects for Earth’s future.

Seg-El has no choice but to investigate the truth behind his grandfather’s execution and try to save both worlds from their demise.

Unlike the DC television shows on the CW network including “The Flash” and “Arrow,” “Krypton” displays a mature, realistic tone, along with compelling character interactions and exceptional acting.

Once a child of a noble family, Seg-El now lives an undisciplined life in Kandor City, who drinking, stealing and only seeking pleasure and happiness. Cuffe’s portrayal of the rebellious character is similar to Harrison Ford’s charismatic performance as the iconic Han Solo in the original “Star Wars” trilogy displaying his charming personality as he tries to stay out of the political trouble in his world.

However, Seg-El is still warm-hearted towards his parents and lover, Lyta Zod, a member of the Military Guild. Campbell’s portrayal as Zod displays that while she tries to act fierce and intimidating on the outside, the character sticks to her true moral values on the inside.

Campbell and Cuffe’s chemistry shows that opposites do indeed attract. While Seg is disobedient and among the Rankless, Zod is of a high order and respects her elders.

While the characters have their moments, the plot places a heavy emphasis on the Kandor civilization’s political and religious ideals.

The planet Krypton is an advanced, technological society with alien features like a big-budget production, displaying a refreshingly satisfying color filter.

The show takes elements from the “Man of Steel” film—including Krypton’s political concepts and infrastructure because the screenplay was written by Goyer himself. The show is also very similar to the hit HBO series “Game Of Thrones” because of the lively worlds and environments and the advanced special effects and cinematography.

“This is a show that comes before Superman, and it’s meant to help deepen and expand our understanding of that mythology,” stated showrunner Cameron Welsh. “What do we know about Superman? That he was raised on Earth in Smallville, America, and he’s come to represent the values of truth, justice, and the American way. That’s all already baked in.”

Although the show’s main antagonist, Brainiac, has not received must screen time yet, fans can expect an intense, memorable adaptation of the iconic villain in the comic books.

Great CGI and character development aside, “Krypton” still has its flaws. The premiere episode consists of clichéd elements. Seg-El’s avoidance of Strange’s message perfectly aligns to the overused “Refusal of the Call” moment. The handsome, rebellious Seg-El will eventually save the world as the season progresses. Think iconic characters, like Neo from the “Matrix” trilogy, Bilbo Baggins from the “Hobbit” trilogy and Luke Skywalker from the original “Star Wars” trilogy.

“Krypton” currently has an 82% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a 7.4/10 on IMDB, the Internet Movie Database.

The show airs every Wednesday at 10 PM on the Syfy Network.

After DC’s cinematic failure with “Justice League,” maybe discovering the mythology behind Superman on the small screen is not a bad idea.

Lucas Shim is currently the Entertainment Editor for The Mirror. He joined during his sophomore year and is now in his second year publication as a junior.

Other than contributing to journalism, his hobbies include binge-watching movies and TV shows, brainstorming story ideas and writing screenplays for his future career as a screenwriter. He is also a volunteer at Pet Orphans of Southern California, where he socializes and walks dogs. When it comes to politics, Lucas chooses to remain open-minded regarding political parties and their ongoing governmental debates.

FacebookInstagramTwitter