The March for Our Lives

NEWS

The March for Our Lives

GUN CONTROL: Students across the nation take it to the streets to share their voice on the recent gun control debate.

Tommy Chan | News Editor
March 14, 2018

The shots fired at Parkland, Florida can still be heard across the nation.

March 14 marks the one month anniversary of the tragedy that occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. A 19-year old gunman, Nikolaus Cruz, opened fire on a school full of students and faculty, resulting in the deaths of 17 individuals.

Following the tragedy was a wave of student-led activism advocating for gun control in our nation’s institutions.

Led by Parkland victims Emma González, David Hogg, Cameron Kasky and the hundreds of other victims, the Never Again movement took it to their state legislation to advocate for stricter gun control laws.

“We can’t ignore the issues of gun control that this tragedy raises. And so, I’m asking – no, demanding – we take action now,” – Kasky.

The March for Our Lives is set to take place on March 24 at Washington D.C. It is here where the collective voices of those across the nation can be heard, calling for the government to take action and prevent another mass shooting.

Students and schools across America have responded to the call for action.

On March 14, on the anniversary of the tragedy, schools across the nation, including Van Nuys High School, held school walkouts to advocate for stricter gun control laws to the government.

But the walkout at Van Nuys was held on campus as opposed to off campus. Rather than having hundreds of students walk out of school and onto the streets, VNHS held a memorium on the quad at 10 AM, putting up 17 checkpoints across the area to represent each of the 17 lives lost during the tragedy.

“I want to touch the heart of people and help them understand what should be done and that students who were affected and traumatized are not alone,” said Elizabeth Caracciolo, the event planner.

The memorium lasted for approximately 17 minutes for the 17 lives.

Tommy Chan is a Senior who joined The Mirror staff in his junior year. He started his journey in this field as a News Writer and has worked his way up to the position of News Editor.

Aside from Journalism, Tommy enjoys creative writing and volunteers as a teacher to children in Cambodia. Tommy hopes to major in a branch of Environmental Science to contribute to the fight against Global Warming.

Follow Us!

FacebookInstagramTwitter