The Wolves Lose to Division 1 Tigers

Coming off a dominating homecoming win against the Panorama Pythons, both the Junior Varsity and Varsity football teams played their final home game of the season against the undefeated (9-0) Division 1 San Fernando Tigers.

by Nazaret Jarekian

The Mirror Staff

“We played them hard and were one of the hardest games they’ve had all year.”

Nov. 4th Away

Wolves vs. Reseda
 JV: 4 p.m. | Varsity: 7 p.m.

SPORTS

The Wolves Lose to Division 1 Tigers

FOOTBALL: Defense thrives but offense struggles in close loss to San Fernando

Tigers beat Varsity 14-7 and decimated J.V. 54-0 after both teams steamrolled over the Panorama Pythons the previous week for Homecoming.

After a blowout 41-14 victory the prior week, the JV team started off the evening with a disappointing play. Scoreless throughout the game, they eventually lost 51-0 to the Tigers.

Varsity stepped onto the field with the hopeful momentum that was gained from the 33-13 victory against the Pythons the week before, however, from the beginning of the game, the Tigers showed their skills as a Division 1 team, scoring a quick touchdown early in the first quarter. They led the game 7-0.

The Wolves offense shut down and were forced to punt the ball, giving the Tigers another chance.

The Wolves defense excelled throughout the game, attempting to keep the Tigers from scoring. The Wolves regained possession of the ball for a new offensive chance.

Even though they were overpowered by a Division 1 powerhouse team, the Wolves fighting spirit and hard work led to Chris Leiva scoring a touchdown, tying the game up at 7-7. But before halftime, the Tigers ran for their second touchdown of the night, and regained the lead 14-7.

The Wolves defense hit the field, consistently going after the Tiger Quarterback. It led to two big sacks from Senior Free Safety David Eisenbaum.

The Van Nuys’ defense kept San Fernando scoreless for the remainder of the game.

Both teams were scoreless for the rest of the game, ending the game with a 14-7 loss for the Wolves.

Even with a loss in the column, the game ended up as a win for the team’s moral.

“We played them hard and were one of the hardest games they’ve had all year,” Varsity Lineman Jonathan De Leon said. “This game is be a great building block for next week at Reseda.”

With the loss, the Wolves fall to 3-6 on the season and look ahead to playing Reseda High in their final game of the regular season. If the team wins, they can secure a spot in the League Playoffs.

NEXT GAME: Wolves vs. Reseda on Friday, Nov. 4th. JV at 4 p.m. and Varsity at 7 p.m.