Championship Bound

SPORTS

Championships, Here They Come

BOYS BASKETBALL: The Wolves reaches their second consecutive city championship game

Devin Tse| Sports Editor
February 26, 2018

The Boys Basketball Team had a semi finals matchup against Garfield on Saturday, Feb.24.

The Wolves immediately controlled the tempo of the game as their defensive schemes were able to disrupt Garfield’s rhythm. Defensively, Ethan Quiambao was able to pickpocket his opponent and create shots for his teammates. By the end of the first half, Van Nuys would have a 12 point lead. In the second half, Matthew Sykes made his presence known, as he grabbed a team high 13 rebounds. Accompanying Sykes was Mijuhaim Ali, who drained four three point shots and created a mini scoring run. By the fourth quarter, the Wolves would have a commanding lead and will advance to the Division 2 CIFLACS Championships.

“One more game to go,” said Tyree Winborn.

Final Score: 76-59

NEXT GAME: Van Nuys vs King Drew (at Roybal High School) on Friday, March.2 at 8:00 pm.

Devin Tse is the Sports Editor for The Mirror. He is a junior and a second-year member at the Van Nuys High School journalism class.

Devin enjoys watching and participating in sporting events. He is currently on the Boys Varsity Volleyball Team. Besides covering sports for The Mirror, he is also interested in the other activities occurring at Van Nuys High School.

Follow Us!

FacebookInstagramTwitter