(From L to R) Senior Julian Pankowski, senior Sophia Hillstead and Sophomore Oliver Barrett hit a frozen picture to symbolize the history of Hill House
THE MIRROR | GIANMARCO RAZURI

Counting down: “The Haunting of Hill House” week seven

With tech week next on the calendar the cast is cracking down, making sure everything is memorized and ready to go.

With a full run scheduled for Friday, Oct. 11, the cast was working all week to solidify blocking and lines.

“I felt pretty comfortable with my lines the first part of the run through,” commented Junior and ensemble member, Connor Ruckman.

In an emotional moment, sophomore Olivia Klipstine looks off, surrounded by the three actors playing the voices in her head. (THE MIRROR | GIANMARCO RAZURI)

A run of the full show means that the actions and everything involving what the actors have to do on stage is finished. The game now is putting those things together to make one coherent show. 

Running the show helps a lot with seeing where the missing pieces lay.

(From L to R) Seniors Deven and DJ Martinez, playing husband and wife in the play, argue over the validity of Hill House.

“When we got to act two, I started to get a little lost on staging since I wasn’t as familiar as I was with act one,” Ruckman continued.

As actors and crew prepare for longer rehearsals as tech week begins, everyone is starting to prioritize themselves and their health.

After school and before rehearsal, the actors take time to focus and prepare for the work ahead. (From L to R) Senior Julian Pankowski and sophomore Ellie Steinberg toss bean bags to fellow students to help

In previous years some kind of sickness has always carried over through the cast and crew just before performance days, but this year, to prevent that, the long tech schedule has changed, only calling in the entire company for two days, leaving stage management to work alone the rest of the week.

“Having no actors on stage these first two days has been very beneficial,” senior and Production Stage Manager Kayla Balikiyan-Davis said. “We are able to focus more on the tech side, making sure that the lighting and sound cues were completed without distractions.”

Production Stage Manager and senior Kayla Balikyan-Davis checks her phone to ensure the cast is on schedule for that days rehearsal. (THE MIRROR | GIANMARCO RAZURI)

Make sure to support this fall’s production, opening on Oct. 24 at 4:30 p.m. 

Tickets are being sold by all members of the show as well as Room 303. 

Tickets are also online, and can be found on Instagram @vnhstheatre!

$1435
$5000

About the contributor
Addison Cudd
Addison Cudd, Arts and Entertainment Editor
Senior Addison Cudd is the Arts and Entertainment Editor for The Mirror this year. Cudd loves a good cheesy movie as well as Marvel movies. In her free time, other than watching every movie with Chris Evans in it, she likes to paint and have fun playing games online with her group of friends. Cudd plans to pursue a career as an actress as she has planned since she was a little girl and she hopes to live up to her younger selves expectation.
$1435
$5000