Ms. Mitchell poses with her period 5 Biology class, as she celebrates her first week of being a Van Nuys High school teacher.
THE MIRROR | Chioma Chiawa

5 MINUTES WITH… new biology teacher, Ms. Mitchell

Rooting for her student’s every step of the way, Ms. Mitchell sets out to establish her love for science and teaching at a new school.

Ten weeks after the start of the year, the school introduced the science department to a new teacher– Ms. Donielle Mitchell. 

With teaching credentials in math and science, Ms. Mitchelle integrates her vibrant personality into her biology classes. 

Following her first week at our school, I sat down with her for five minutes to explore her personality and interests. 

Are there any clubs or activities that you’re sponsoring or that you volunteer for? 

Not right now. It’s only been seven days, but I love sports. I love supporting students, supporting the arts and playing the cello, so we’ll see!

What is a cause or issue that you’re passionate about?

Students and science. When I’m older, you guys are going to be the doctors, physicians, astronauts and engineers I’m going to have to trust. 

What is the most memorable travel experience that you’ve had?

I have family in France, so the most recent trip I took there was pretty memorable. A lot of times in America people get caught up in skin color, but over there, it’s more about nationality, like American or French and things like tha, which was definitely a shock that made it stand out.

What’s a life lesson you’ve learned outside the classroom that you can share? 

You have to grind, you have to hustle and you have to execute. That’s the biggest thing. And you have to inspire people. I mean, life is meant to be lived, but not dull. And you don’t cry over things you can’t control. That’s my favorite prayer. God grants me the courage to change the things I can and the acceptance to accept the things I can’t, along with the wisdom of difference.

If you could have dinner with anyone living or dead, who would it be? 

Albert Einstein. I really want to meet him. I literally have socks with his face on them. Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, the Obamas and really, just my students, would all be great options as well. If I could just get them all together with some pizza and learn more about them, I’d be thrilled.

What is something that most people don’t know about you?

I’m an introvert. I have a lot of energy, so people assume I’m an extrovert, but I really just enjoy chilling and being in my head.

$1435
$5000

$1435
$5000