Doing it from memory: “The Haunting of Hill House” week six

This week, the cast of “The Haunting of Hill House” worked tirelessly to rehearse the show off script.
(From L to R) Senior Sophia Hillstead and sophomore Amelia Probst work together to tell the history of Hill House in a complex movement piece.
THE MIRROR | Gianmarco Razuri

This week the cast was up to their chins in tasks.

The four leads have been working tirelessly to memorize their lines and now they finally had time to put it to use. As hands get free from scripts the characters come to life.

(From L to R) Junior Connor Ruckman, sophomore Olivia Klipstine, senior Addison Cudd and sophomore Ellie Steinberg attempt to think of a frozen picture for their characters.

“As the leads start to get off book, their characters are gaining more color and personality,” said Junior and ensemble member, Brianne Tolentino. “I’m so excited to see it once everyone is off book and we start making more choices.”

This week has been busy for not only the actors, but the stage management team.

(From L to R) Seniors April Cho and Deven Martinez, playing Theodora and Dr. Montague, stand facing each other in an attempt to remember their lines during their first off-book run through.

“Most of what we were working on is cleaning all of the pages and working on blocking, meaning as stage managers we’re checking all of our notes and taking even more,” said Sophomore Assistant Stage Manager Elle Sinio. “The PSM (Production Stage Manager) and other ASM (Assistant Stage Manager) have been so helpful towards the crew and actors and although it’s been super busy, we’re really excited to see the show come together.”

The weekend opened up a new exciting experience for the Theatre Department as well.

On Saturday Oct. 5 the Wolf Pack Theatre Company hosted their first middle school day, where middle schoolers interested in the Theater Department came to get a taste of everything they have to offer. 

The middle schoolers got to go with different departments to make props, design costumes and perform scenes from the play. 

“It was really amazing to see the future of the Theatre Department,” added Senior and Drama Board Vice President, Kayla

Senior Deven Martinez glances back at their fellow cast members, reciting one of their monologues.

Balikyan-Davis said. “Their excitement and enthusiasm gives me hope for the future of the program.”

With two weeks until tech week rehearsals are getting busier and busier. 

As the cast prepares for longer rehearsals, they look forward to having an audience to perform for.

Stay tuned for the other weekly updates on “The Haunting of Hill House,” opening on October 24! Tickets are now available online or found on the linktree on the VNHS theater Instagram, @vnhs.theatre.

$1435
$5000

$1435
$5000