Cheer and laughter fills the crowd as students gather around to get their share of ice cream and churros, during Freshman Funday.
THE MIRROR | Courtesy of Jazmine Carrera

A fresh start: Freshman Funday

The freshman enjoy a day in the sun to kick off high school.

The class of 2028 kicked off the school year at Freshman Funday on Friday, Sept. 27, 2024. 

The students were on the softball field during 6th period and had the opportunity to bond with their class through various activities, games, food and performances. 

Additionally, a lot of students found themselves in line for churros and ice cream. 

“The churro stand was definitely a highlight of Freshman Funday,” Freshman Joceline Thai said. “It’s not something you see often at a school event, so having that there was an experience in itself.” 

Overall, she believes that freshman funday was a success and was a great event planned and organized by ASB.

“I thought freshman funday lived up to its name,” she said. “It was a fun period of time for us to relax, have fun and not stress.”

There were also performances by Dance Company and Cheer to welcome the students.

“My favorite part was the performances by Dance Company and Cheer,” she said. “I think those performances showed us how fun those extracurriculars/electives are, and the music malfunction during varsity cheer also showed freshmen how to be professional. It was a lesson to keep going even when things didn’t go as planned, which I think is a valuable lesson for us to learn.”  

In addition to food and activities, the 9th grade students had the opportunity to explore a variety of interests by exploring the different clubs that we have on campus. 

Many clubs set up stands with fun games and information to get students interested in joining. 

Clubs such as the Armenian Club, the International Academy and CIEE Study Abroad Club were eager to share information about their respective clubs and their missions. 

Overall, students greatly enjoyed the bonding experience that Freshman Funday provided.

“I look forward to finishing my freshman year at Van Nuys and am excited to see what my remaining years hold,” Thai said.

$1435
$5000

About the contributor
Skylie Molina
Skylie Molina, Staff
From catching a wave alongside a dolphin to studying for the next exam, my days are packed with a little bit of everything. I am a junior in my first year of journalism. Passionate about conservation and climate change, I am the founder and president of the VNHS Environmental Club. Involved in many other activities, I am a 3rd year varsity cheerleader, and found love for surfing. Outside of school, you can find me reading, spending time with friends or family, or doing math homework, and listening to some pop music.
$1435
$5000