California is in its most extreme drought in 126 years

Curb your water usage! As of June 1, Californians are being forced to comply with a mandatory reduction on water use or face consequences.
In+order+to+save+water%2C+some+experts+suggest+planting+drought+tolerant+plants+in+gardens.+
TEONA SWIFT | PEXELS
In order to save water, some experts suggest planting drought tolerant plants in gardens.
CREDIT: SCOTT WEBB | PEXELS

What is happening | California’s latest drought is currently in its third year, and as of last summer, has become the most extreme drought in the state’s 126-year history. The severity of this drought has only been amplified by the increasingly hotter temperatures stemming from climate change.

In an effort to combat this alarming water shortage, the executive board of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California has devised and approved an emergency plan to drastically reduce water usage and limit non-essential water use.

New mandatory water restrictions | Despite Governor Gavin Newsom’s please back in July for Californians to voluntarily cut back water use by 15 percent, it has now reached the point where restrictions are being placed on water usage. As of June 1, the water district is mandating that the local agencies it supplies cut their usage by roughly 35 percent. Those who are unwilling to abide by the regulation and surpass their monthly water limits will face steep fines. Furthermore, drastic restrictions may be introduced on Sept. 1 if the water supply in California continues to diminish.

Advice from AP Environmental Teacher, Ms. Tracy Kim | “We have to be smarter about the usage of water to help adjust to the fact that we don’t have enough water,” she said. “Keep your showers to maybe five minutes. And for those who have to water their lawns, they may have to minimize the amount of water they use.”

Ways to curb water usage |

• Take shorter showers
  • Turn off the water while brushing your teeth and while shaving
  • Only use the dishwasher and washing machine when you have a full load
  • Water your lawn on an “as needed” basis
  • Use a broom to clean steps, sidewalks, and driveways as opposed to spraying it down with a hose
  • Don’t wash your car at home