Hispanic Heritage Month: Why I am proud to be Mexican

FIRST PERSON: There are many cases in which we are told that we should go back to our country or that we don’t belong here. In reality, we contribute a lot to society.
7+Hispanic+nations+celebrate+their+independence+days+during+this+month.+
ARMY SGT. NINA ROMAN | WIKIMEDIA
7 Hispanic nations celebrate their independence days during this month.

As a person of Hispanic heritage, this month means a lot to me. 

The start of the month on Sept. 15 is significant because it is the anniversary of the independence of five Latin American countries: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. 

In addition, Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence days on Sept. 16 and Sept. 18, respectively. The month runs until Oct. 15. What does this month mean to me?

It means I can be myself and I don’t have to be ashamed of being Mexican. I am aware that there are many people in situations where they are afraid to express their culture. This is not just a Mexican issue, but a universal one. 

There are many cases in which we are told that we should go back to our country or that we don’t belong here. In reality, we contribute a lot to society. We take over the jobs that are necessary to keep this country running properly and do it successfully. We live among those who don’t like us and treat us as if we are aliens in a country we help to build up. That is why I enjoy this month so much. 

This month is a symbol of Mexican heritage, to be proud of where they came from. I believe Hispanic people came to America with good intentions but are misunderstood in many cases and are now often portrayed as outsiders.  

I believe we, as Mexicans, should be proud of our blood and should really celebrate the month that is dedicated to us. This includes being happy for who you are and where you came from.

For me, being Hispanic is an honor and a privilege. This month gives my culture an opportunity to be seen and allows me to celebrate the events that make me so proud. 

Within my culture and my family, events like Cinco de Mayo, which is celebrated on May 5, are some of the most important moments of the year. It not only allows me to showcase my culture, but is an extremely fun event as well. 

I am excited to celebrate the month next year too.