Laufey’s record-breaking album has “Bewitched” listeners

Singer and songwriter Laufey’s modern take on classic jazz has influenced musicians worldwide. With her newest album “Bewitched,” many people have been left in awe. 
YOUTUBE | LAUFEY
Laufey’s newest album “Bewitched” offers 14 songs with themes of heartbreak, sadness and self-love.

Up-and-coming jazz artist Laufey released her album “Bewitched” on Sep. 8., receiving high praise from her fans. Her unique jazz-style of music has gained popularity over time and is loved by many. The new album consists of 14 songs, and these are the three you need to listen to before you fall behind.

Each song on the album has a vastly different meaning. To an outside listener, the songs may sound on the sadder side compared to today’s biggest hits. However, most people, including myself, can relate to the emotions conveyed within the songs.

Indubitably, one of the best tracks on the album is “Second Best.” This song is about how Laufey is the second option to her partner. The lyrics tell the story of how much she loved this person, even how everyone warned her that being with them was a bad idea. Laufey didn’t listen, and now she finds it hard to let go.

Having experienced this situation before, I know that in the end, these kinds of relationships result in crippling disappointment and make it seemingly impossible for the people involved to move on.

The chords in the background of “Second Best” are calming, and Laufey’s use of major keys within the acoustic guitar expresses a bright and happy tone, conveying a romantic and hopeful vibe throughout the song. It’s a sad love song, but her calming voice and acoustic sound make it a beautiful piece.

My second favorite song on the album, “Promise,” truly broke my heart. The lyrics tell the story of how Laufey made a promise to leave the person she loves but still has the urge to talk to them. She promises to keep her distance from someone who is not good for her, but in a twist of fate, she breaks her promise, showing that no matter how much you try to stay apart, the bond with those you love will always be there.

Lastly, “Letter To My 13-Year-Old Self” has a heart-wrenchingly deep meaning behind it. Laufey shares how at the age of 13, she felt different from the crowd, out of place even, and was picked on for her foreign name. She felt like everyone around her was prettier, smarter and better than she would ever be.

The lyrics convey the message of self-love and acceptance. This song is a beautiful reminder to embrace who you are and to love yourself unconditionally.

The entire album is a delightful haze of her iconic jazz style, brought out by incredibly beautiful chords and even deeper meanings. Overall, I rate “Bewitched” a 9.5/10.