“GUTS:” A musical roller coaster 

Melancholy and regret reverberate within the lyrics of Olivia Rodrigo’s newest album.
WIKIMEDIA COMMONS
Olivia Rodrigo dropped her new album “GUTS” on Sept. 8, drawing fans in with her melancholic tone and nostalgia.

Olivia Rodrigo’s newest album “GUTS” debuted on Sept. 8 with 12 tracks of emotionally powered pop rock songs. “GUTS” is lyrically and musically beautiful, telling a story of Rodrigo’s relationship with her ex-boyfriend.

When listening to the album, “the grudge” and “teenage dreams” immediately caught my eye. The softness of these tracks draws you into a state of dreamy, melancholic nostalgia.

One song that stood out to me lyrically was “teenage dreams.” Within the song, there is a line where she talks about what her life will be like towards the end, and she ponders whether or not she will regret what she’s done with her life. I can relate to this song because I frequently get stuck thinking about my past actions and what I could have done better. 

Although most of the songs are catchy and fun, some, like “bad idea right?” and “vampire,” have been overplayed in the media after their initial release. After a while, they begin to lose their spark.

If you are looking for a few songs to listen to after a breakup or heartbreak of any nature, then this album is right for you. It may not be for everyone, but “GUTS” is definitely worth a listen. It’s the logical thing to do.