The Wolves start off their season with a bang

Starting off the season, the Wolves football team was tasked to play against Mendez High School on Friday, Aug. 18, and ultimately triumphed on top, winning with a score of 28-21.

Highlights | 

• Mendez started the game off with scoring the first points, making the score 14-0, 
  • During the game six injuries occurred, the first injury being inflicted towards #70, Jeremy Hernandez, who fortunately returned to the field later on in the game.
  • During the second quarter, the teams were head to head with a score of 14-14, but the Wolves ended up trailing behind when Mendez scored a touchdown to take the quarter.
  • The third quarter ended with the Wolves bouncing back and tying the score 21-21.
  • #13, Abraham Ceja, was striving on defense, tackling and preventing the Jaguars from scoring.
  • In the last quarter, the Wolves’ quarterback, #9, Nathan Oliveira, scored a touchdown followed by a PAT (point after touchdown) from Leelen Castro, #10, ending the game with an adjacent score of 28-21.

What’s next | The next team that stands in the Wolves’ way are the Verdugo Hills Dons. They will face off on Friday, Aug. 25, away from the Wolves’ den. The next home game will take place on Aug. 31, against Hollywood High School.

Team thoughts | “We came a long way, practicing all summer, so it feels good, but there’s no time to rest because, on Monday, we have to get back to it. My personal goal for this season is to come together as a team,”  said varsity team captain Abraham Ceja.

“My goal for this season is just to get better, I’m not looking at the scoreboard, I’m just looking at myself and my team, I’m making sure everyone is getting better every single day.” Varsity captain, Hector Gonzalez said.

Our thoughts | In total, there were six devastating injuries, but luckily, many of the players were able to return to the field after some resting. Both teams played well, but it was clear that the wolves spent time honing their skills over the summer, taking home the first game of the season. 

For the books | 

• 1 wins, 0 losses
  • Valley Mission League