“How to blow up a pipeline” is the essential Gen-Z thriller

Daniel Goldhaber’s ticking time-bomb of a thriller is one for the ages.
THE MIRROR | DASHIELL DEKKER
‘How To Blow Up A Pipeline’ shows us how to make a prolific, political thriller in modern times.

In the same vein as something between Freidkin’s “Sorcerer” or the “Ocean’s Eleven” franchise and the anarchic mastery of John Carpenter and Ruben Östulnd, comes a refreshing, blood-pumping thriller that sucks you in and throws you out like its nothing. Acting as one of the most expertly crafted, endlessly entertaining exercises in social-political bombastica in contemporary cinema, “How To Blow Up A Pipeline” is undoubtedly my favorite film of the year thus far.

In a world of skewed-news and fossil fuels, a political renegade gang of eco-activists led by the burgeoning radical Xochitl (Ariela Barer) execute a deliberate act of sabotage: to explode a pipeline in West Texas.

With each member of the crew being negatively affected by oil refineries throughout their lives (such as Sasha Lane’s Theo, diagnosed with leukemia as a result of living near powerplants her whole life, to Forrest Goodluck’s Michael, a Native-American whose affinity for pyromania leads him to take action against the powers that be), this off-the-clock descent into explosive espionage is not only thick-witted, extendedly precise in presentation, excruciatingly tense but above all, important and poignant.

THE MIRROR | DASHIELL DEKKER

Adapted from the novel by Andreas Malm, this film aims to shed light to the long term effects of climate change and cancerous influence as a result of the oil industry. Now while the activism portrayed in this film is one of great over exaggeration there is never a sense of irony – rather, the genre and tension outline the forces that plunge these individuals down a spiral of hate sabotage as similar struggles, rather than a singular one. Making a broader statement on its subjects as a whole and thus creating an accessible atmosphere in which you will find yourself enlighted with sympathy for our leads just equally enough that every cast member matters. Especially Jayme Lawson’s Alisha, who with co-star Sasha Lane creates one of the most riveting and authentic queer couples in a modern-film-tackling-modern-issues in a good long while – simply thanks to no heavy-handedness and purposeful performance. They are definite standouts.

Not a single weak performance on front, the players elevate this film to its fullest potential. Goodluck specifically, with the character of Michael, who dabbles in make-shift explosives that he broadcasts to internet forums – with the intent of blowing up an oil refinery taking place on his family’s plot. He is a sociopath, with a good heart. Much like the mission: it is technically terrorism, but it’s for a great cause. 

This film, like most social satires, views the system as the enemy. Not ever dipping its toes into what could be considered over-bearing commentary, the film is genuine and sophisticated, and at points, really funny as well. 

The look of the picture is not to be understated, the 16MM film photography is so grainy and fuzzy, pouring heaps of harsh browns and oranges into a desolate, dusty frame. Theres just no undermining how viscerally cool this film is – also due in part to Gavin Brivik’s foreboding synth soundtrack, which I promptly downloaded and have been listening to for weeks since watching the film.

And a further testament to the radicality of this mini-masterpiece is the response it has been eliciting. From the eco-activism community both denouncing and commemorating the film’s point of view to Kansas City, Missouri quietly warning of a “developing threat” following social media influx related to the film. There is no definitive right side in the real world, and I do not associate politics with films, but this film is a masterpiece, as is its message. Provocation to boot, a win/win/win in my book.  

If you see a film in theaters this month, make it “How To Blow Up A Pipeline”. I assure you, you won’t regret it. 

8/10