The Wolves sneak into the playoffs but fall in the second round

The team’s zero-win season ends with a loss to the Elizabeth Bulldogs in the CIF Division III tournament.
SAMANTHA RAMOS | THE MIRROR
The team faces a difficult re-build in order for a chance to win at a higher rate next season.

The bottom line | The boys soccer team beat the Bernstein Dragons 5-2 on Valentine’s Day Feb. 14, 2022 at Bernstein. The match was part of the first round of the  2022 CIF LA City Section Boys Soccer Championship Division III tournament. 

Highlights | 

• Attacker David Montejo (#31) had two goals.
  • Forward #6 Diego Panduro had one goal
  • #15 Dylan Ramos had one goal.
  • #19 Sergio Rodriguez had one goal
  • Diego Lopez had two assists, and Osckar Lupercio had one assist.

What happened next | In the second round of the 2022 CIF LA City Section Boys Soccer Championship Division III tournament, the Wolves played against the Elizabeth Bulldogs at home at 3:00 pm. The Bulldogs were the favorites, ranked fourth in the entire bracket.  The Bulldogs have an overall record of 11-4-3 a league record of 7-1-2 their home record is 4-0-1 and their away record is 5-2-2. The Bulldogs star player is #10 Julio Velasquez who has 10 goals and 4 assists. In the second half, Velasquez sealed any chance of a deeper run into the playoffs with a goal. The Wolves lost the match, ending their season with it. 

Our thoughts | The Wolves have had a disappointing season but had a unique chance in the first round of the playoffs. The Wolves were unable to perform the same as they did against the Bernstein Dragons. The loss was unsurprising and the team will need to make drastic changes in the off-season to win more games next year. 

For the books | Season end 

• 3 wins, 14 losses, 2 ties
  • Division 3: 2022 CIF LA City Section Boys’ Soccer Championships (second round knockout)