Ultimate showdown between the alumni and current volleyball teams

THE MIRROR | CHRISTOPHER MONTERROSA
Devin Brown tries to score a point in midair after getting the ball set to him.

On Friday, April 26, ASB (Associated Student Body) hosted the volleyball alumni games, in which former volleyball athletes return to the court and face off against the current volleyball team.

Both the alumni women and the current girls volleyball team came to have fun while competing against one another. 

Each game was a best of three sets. 

The alumni dominated the first set, having powerful kills and solid defenses, receiving some of the Lady Wolves’ attacks, winning 25-15.

In the second set, the current girls volleyball team started to find their rhythm on offense, dishing out strong serves and spikes. However, keeping up with the alumni was insufficient, losing the second set 25-20 in a clean sweep.

Because the girls volleyball season had already ended, some cherished their final moments of getting to play their last game with their senior teammates, who will be leaving the team next year.

“I think the main highlight that happened was all of us having fun,” Teagan Greer, a current middle blocker and hitter on the team, said. “Playing with the seniors again was amazing. Even if it wasn’t a real game, it was really fun as well as the reunion we had with the alumni because a lot of them were our friends in previous years, so it was good seeing them again.”

Even though both teams in the first game played amazingly and were dedicated to winning, there could only be one winner.

Later, the male alumni clashed with the current boys volleyball team.

Last year’s alumni game resulted in the boys team defeating the alumni team, fueling the alumni team’s desire to win this year.

Starting off the first set, the alumni team made unbelievable plays from the serves to the hits. The boys were able to keep up, but not for long, as the alumni pulled through and ended the set with a score of 25-22. 

During the second set, it got much worse for the boys team because the alumni team attacked them with unreceivable serves and monstrous spikes. Although the boys tried their hardest to come out with the win, the alumni successfully took it and won with a score of 26-24.

Things were shaky for both sides during the third and final set. The current team mustered up the courage to return to the court and received most of the balls served and spiked at them. Although the lead went back and forth, the alumni ultimately took over, winning 25-23 in the final set with a 3-0 sweep against the boys.

“Playing against grown men was genuinely such a fun experience because we had to use our smarts rather than smashing the ball or we would get blocked,” current team captain Devin Brown said.

“I believe that the current team is really strong and holds a great amount of power, and I know that the current seniors will leave a legacy for all the lower classmen,” former libero Leo Mokhtari said. “The games were also really fun and to be honest, it was even more fun winning with a complete sweep.”

At the end of the day, even though both current teams lost in a clean sweep, the results didn’t matter. What mattered was everyone got to play with or against one another. Everyone was able to revere the moments they had with one another, making this night one to remember.