Three things to do this weekend to get your mind off off finals week

From staring at magical Christmas lights to hitting the gym, there’s so many great things to do this weekend to take a crucial break from studying for finals.
WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

New Planet Fitness 

Located just a few blocks down from campus, Planet Fitness’s newest location in Van Nuys can offer a new spot for students and gym-buffs alike to work out. 

Planet Fitness offers so much more than dumbbells and treadmills for your workout. Depending on the membership you choose you can have access to a tanning room, hydromassage, a free guest, fitness training, rewards and discounts. Memberships can range between $10 and $24 a month, depending on your plan. Their website provides you with prices, club hours and a virtual tour. 

Hitting the gym before and even throughout finals week is a healthy way to prepare your mind and body for your busy schedule. It’s something your studious mind and body can really benefit from. 7241 Sepulveda Blvd., Van Nuys, CA 91405-2004 

COURTESY | VISIT NEWPORT BEACH

Marina Del Rey Boat Parade

If you enjoy roaming around the city looking at Christmas lights, Fisherman’s Village in Marina Del Rey is hosting a free event this Saturday, Dec. 9, offering a look at the lights from the ocean! Bring a warm blanket and lots of friends to this event and watch over 70 boats light up and create a festive parade that travels through the Marina. 

The event begins at 5:55 p.m., kicking off with a spectacular firework show. After the firework show closes, the parade starts at 6 p.m. You get to enjoy a two hour Christmas parade and participate in voting for awards such as best lights, best band, best theme and more. This is a great way to distract yourself from studying before finals week! For more information click here. 13737 Fiji Way, Los Angeles, CA 90292 Dec. 9

COURTESY | LOS ANGELES ZOO

L.A. Zoo Lights

It’s that time of the year again where the L.A. Zoo Lights make an appearance. 

Although usually closed during the evenings, this special event features a late night trip around the L.A Zoo, making this an event you don’t want to miss. The event takes place from six until ten p.m nightly from Nov. 17 to Jan. 7. Tickets are sold on their website and at the door starting at $29. Doors open at 5:45 p.m. if you prefer to buy your tickets at the door. 

With your eyes droopy and tired from studying, it’s best to give them a break by taking a walk through magical lights. 5333 Zoo Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90027 Nov. 17 – Jan. 7