Auditions start for spring musical

The auditions are happening all of this week in room 303 after school, testing students on their singing and dancing skills for a chance at joining the school’s production of “Sweeney Todd.”

Auditions for the spring musical “Sweeney Todd” will be starting Monday, Nov. 13, in 15 minute time slots from 3:50 to 6:00 p.m in room 303. A movement audition will be Wednesday from 3:50 to 6:00 p.m. in room 434. Callbacks are Thursday, Nov. 16, in room 303 from 3:50 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. 

The musical tells the tale of a barber who returns from a wrongful imprisonment. While he is gone, his wife goes missing and the judge that sent him away has taken his only child away from him. Now he seeks revenge on the judge who has wronged him so much. 

The school will be presenting Stephen Sondheim’s “Sweeney Todd” March 14, 15, 16 and 17, 2024 in the Donna Hubbard Auditorium.  

For the audition itself, students will be asked to sing a portion of a song from the show, the portion being specified in the Schoology group for the auditioners. The code for the group is F3C5-9TBV-N8469.  Students will also be asked to perform a short monologue. 

For callbacks, students should be prepared to sing any of the callback songs, also listed in the Schoology group. For more information, visit the Schoology group, @VNHSDRAMA on Instagram or Mr. Baldridge in room 303. Even if you have no prior experience, everyone in the Drama Department encourages you to audition and take your chance at taking on a role in a legendary tale or apply to become a part of technical theater / crew.