A quick look at the 96th Academy Awards

Hosted on March 10 at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood, the Oscars showcased the stars and films that gave us the most memorable movie moments from the past year.
Robert Downey Jr. won Best Supporting Actor for playing Levi Strauss in Oppenheimer.
Robert Downey Jr. won Best Supporting Actor for playing Levi Strauss in “Oppenheimer.”
IMAGE COURTESY: YOUTUBE
The 96th Academy Awards switched from a one-presenter to a five-presenter style, eliminating the montages that played shortly before each Oscar was announced. (IMAGE COURTESY: YOUTUBE)
Top Winners
  • Emma Stone won her Oscar for Best Actress in Yogros Lanthimos’s “Poor Things.” This was Stone’s second time winning the award, previously winning it for her performance in 2016’s “La La Land.” 
  • Cillian Murphy became the first ever Irish-born actor to win Best Actor for his performance as J.Robert Oppenheimer in the eponymous movie, which was directed by Christopher Nolan. 
  • The Boy and the Heron won Best Animated Feature. Director Hayao Miyazaki’s last film before his retirement, it is the second Studio Ghibli film to win an Academy Award. 
  • Da’Vine Joy Randolph won her first-ever Oscar for her role in Alexander Payne’s “The Holdovers. Randolph won Best Supporting Actress, taking home the only award for the movie. 
  • Robert Downey Jr. won his first-ever Oscar as Best Supporting Actor, for his role as Lewis Strauss in Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer. 
  • Poor Things” swept the technical category, winning Best Makeup, Best Production Design and Best Costume Design. 
John Cena walked out onstage naked before donning a toga to present the award for Best in Costume Design.
Best Outfits
  • “Dune: Part Two” star Anya Taylor-Joy stole the show with her petaled Christian Dior gown and Tiffany & Co. jewelry. 
  • Best Actress nominee Lily Gladstone continued to pay homage to her indigenous roots in a custom Gucci and Ironhouse Quillwork royal blue gown, tying the look together with Bulgari jewelry. 
  • America Ferrara wore a “Barbie” pink shimmery Versace dress. The actress was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie.” 
  • Oscar award presenter and winner Jennifer Lawrence wore a strapless polka dot dress from the 2024 Spring Christian Dior Haute Couture Collection. To complete her old-Hollywood look, the “Hunger Games” star also wore Swarovski jewelry.
John Cena walked out onstage naked before donning a toga to present the award for Best in Costume Design. (IMAGE COURTESY: YOUTUBE)
Im Just Ken was performed by Ryan Gosling, Simu Liu and many other Kens.
Memorable Moments
  • “High School Musical” star Vanessa Hudgens revealed her pregnancy while walking the red carpet. In 2023, Hudgens got married to MLB player Cole Tucker after dating for two years.
  • For the Best Actress and Best Actor awards, the Fab Five presenter setup from 2009 was brought back. Each actress and actor nominated for the category was introduced by past Oscar winners. It was heartwarming to see actors lifting each other up. 
  • Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connor performed their “Barbie” hit “What Was I Made For”. Later, the song won Best Original Song, making Eilish the youngest person to have two Oscars. 
  • John Cena referenced the 1974 Oscars streaker in a skit when he walked out nude while presenting the award for Best Costume Design. The crowd roared with laughter as he appeared with nothing but an envelope covering him, before being dressed in a toga-like outfit. 
  • Everyone’s favorite dog celebrity Messi from “Anatomy of a Fall” made a surprise appearance, decked out in a black tie. The dog stole the show as it appeared to be clapping along with the audience.  
  • Ryan Gosling dazzled the audience with his Kenergy as he and his fellow Kens Simu Liu, Ncuti Gawa and Kingsley Ben-Adir performed the hit “I’m Just Ken,”  which was nominated for Best Original Song.
“I’m Just Ken” was performed by Ryan Gosling, Simu Liu and many other Kens. (IMAGE COURTESY: YOUTUBE)