Boys basketball rebuild a winning streak with a triumphant win against Panorama Pythons

THE MIRROR | JALYN BAUTISTA
Abraham Ceja (#5), a point guard, aims to make a layup while under the pressure from Panorama’s defense.

The bottom line | On Friday, Jan. 12, the boys basketball team faced off against the Panorama Pythons, and prevailed with a staggering score of 64-39. 

Highlights |  

• In the first half of the game, the scores were trading back and forth, with the Wolves eventually being up by 10 in the first half, ending with 32-22.
  • Jeremy Rivas (#1) was putting up a few threes, which was a contributing factor to the Wolves’ lead.
  • The Wolves’ defense started picking up in the second half, getting many steals and stops. This led to them making multiple runs and increasing their already-expanding lead.
  • Cliff McGee (#22) and Earl Gervacio (#30) played amazing defense on the Python’s main scorer, blocking his shots and ultimately stopping the opposing team’s offense dead in its tracks.

Thomas Diaz (#24) shoots a free throw against Panorama. (THE MIRROR | JALYN BAUTISTA)
  • Jonco Holgado (#2) set up many plays for the Wolves, getting multiple assists, jumpshots and three pointers.

What’s Next | After a blowout against the Pythons, the Wolves are seeking to keep working hard up until their next game against the San Fernando Tigers on Wednesday, Jan. 17, at home.

Team thoughts | “I think we had an amazing team win, as everyone was playing their roles great and the energy was up for most of the game,” captain Jonco Holgado said. “We need to build up momentum from this win because every game we play is very crucial towards making the playoffs. I am very proud of the team and we will continue to work hard and push ourselves everyday.”

Our thoughts | The team played a great game against Panorama and it was shown through every player giving their best effort on the court. They have gotten much better from their last home game, as they communicated more on both sides of the court and were able to make some tough shots. 

For the books |

• 1 wins, 5 losses
  • Valley Mission League
View Comments (1)
$385
$20000

Jaden Gervacio
From watching sports to playing them, I have always been inclined to write about the new athletic events that occur at our school. As a sophomore at Van Nuys High, I am going into my second year of journalism, not just to write about the games, but to uncover the background and details of the talented athletes that play them. Whenever I’m not on my laptop typing about an athlete or game, I am trying to perfect leche flan.
$385
$20000

• R

RimonJan 23, 2024 at 1:28 pm

WOW! Thank you, Jaden for this amazing report!

Reply