All classes cancelled Monday due to Tropical Storm Hilary

Superintendent Alberto Carvalho announced all campuses would be closed in a late Sunday press conference.
TWITTER
Tweet from LAUSD Superintendent Alberto Carvalho announcing that all schools will be closed on Monday Aug. 21 due to the impact of Tropical Storm Hilary.

As Tropical Storm Hilary began bringing torrential rains and winds to Southern California, Los Angeles Unified School District announced the closure of all schools, campuses, and after-school programs on Monday, Aug. 21.

Superintendent Alberto Carvalho announced the school closures in a joint press conference late Saturday afternoon with L.A. Mayor Karen Bass and Governor Gavin Newsom updating preparations for the unprecedented weather

Students and families are urged not to visit their school campuses. Despite the closures, the district is making every effort to maintain the educational flow. Teachers have been directed to upload activities and resources to Schoology by 10:30 a.m. on Monday. Further instructional resources will be accessible at LAUSD.org. and the district’s television station, KLCS, will also be broadcasting educational content to support students.

Parents and students seeking additional assistance can reach out to the Family Hotline at (213) 443-1300.

LAUSD employees will receive further instructions concerning work adjustments in response to the storm.

The school district anticipates reopening schools on Tuesday, Aug. 22. However, the community is advised to monitor updates and heed the advice of local officials, prioriting safety during the storm’s duration.