The Wolves shutout the Sheiks; first win in five seasons

FOOTBALL | The varsity football team won their first game in 3 years against the Hollywood Sheiks with a score of 7-0 on Sept. 9 at an away game. 
Wide receiver Uriel Ruiz (#16) catches the ball as the Wolves’ quarterback passes it to him before he’s able to pass two Sheiks. (CREDIT: JUDY COLLINS | Team Photographer)

The bottom line | The varsity football team beats the Hollywood Sheiks with a score of 7-0 on Sept. 9 at an away game.

Highlights

• Nathan Velasco scored the 6 points that helped gain the lead for the Wolves, while Eric Heng caused fumbles for the other team; helping the Wolves with an advantage towards the end of the game. 
  • Brandon Arteaga scored the field goal, leading the team to victory. Key players on defense created tackles, helping protect the ball. 
  • Communication played a main role in this game, not only among team members but also with those who were cheering on the Wolves. 

What’s next | The Wolves will have a home game against the Kennedy Golden Cougars Friday, Sept. 16.

Team Thoughts | “I go ‘till I drop, I don’t stop, I keep going. I’m working out seven days a week, I’m always trying to put my city on my back and trying to represent the school that I come from.” Urial Rios says.

Our thoughts | After many losses, this game brings pride and hope to our school, but also adds some pressure for the team in the upcoming game.