Three things to do downtown this Earth Day weekend

From book festivals to TV show sneak peeks, there is plenty to do to keep you entertained this weekend.
Festival of Books at USC
Festival of Books at USC

Bibliophiles flock to the USC campus for this L.A. Times-curated event, where you can roam booksellers’ stalls and catch readings and panels from some of the most recognizable names in literature on April 20 and 21.

In addition to the 300-plus exhibitors, this year’s event includes an always-impressive lineup of more than 500 speakers: José Andrés, Ed Begley Jr., Sophia Bush, Jon Favreau, Max Greenfield, Tiffany Haddish, Tamron Hall, Mark Harmon, RuPaul, Kerry Washington, Henry Winkler and more, plus a cooking stage with Nancy Silverton, QCP and Tiffani Thiessen, among others.

Located at USC’s Exposition Park, tickets range from $20 to $85 for VIP packages. 

700 Exposition Park Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90037 April 20-21

Earth Day at the Natural History Museum
Earth Day at the Natural History Museum

Since 1970, Earth Day has been celebrated on April 22 to give a voice to environmental consciousness and inspire people to take action for their planet. The Natural History Museums of Los Angeles County protect and share more than 35 million specimens and artifacts, the largest natural and cultural history collection in the western United States. 

By understanding the world around us, past and present, we gain a better appreciation for our planet and for all who share it. Visit NHM on Saturday, April 20 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for Earth Day-themed programming! 

Featuring nature gardens for music, collections encounters, puppet performances, mini-lectures on fossils and coyotes and a primer on the science behind SpongeBob Squarepants, learn about Los Angeles and the world during this Earth Day event at the museum.

900 Exposition Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90007 April 22

PaleyFest 2024
PaleyFest 2024

Geek out with fellow TV nerds at PaleyFest, the annual weeklong festival of exclusive episodes, clips and panel discussions with the cast and creators of the hottest TV shows. Now in its 41st year, the Paley Center for Media-hosted festival is headed back to the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood from April 12 to 21.

The 2024 lineup includes Curb Your Enthusiasm, Loki, The Morning Show, Young Sheldon, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and a 25th-anniversary celebration of Family Guy.

As you’d expect from that lineup of shows, the assortment of celebrities is just as stacked, including Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, Tom Hiddleston, Iain Armitage, Albert Kim, Seth Meyers, Larry David, Cheryl Hines, Seth MacFarlane, Alex Borstein, Mila Kunis and Stephen Colbert. 

6801 Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood, CA 90028 April 12-21