Girls basketball loses first game of the season to the Kennedy Cougars

Cara Decathong (#22) protects the ball from the opposing team’s player. (THE MIRROR | FARAH ALSIBAI)

The bottom line | The girls basketball team played against the Kennedy Cougars on Wednesday, Jan. 24, and lost with a score of 43-56. 

Highlights | 

• Jazmin Ruiz (# 21) and Karen Grewal (#5) put up a great defense throughout the entire game.
  • Many amazing layups came from Kenya Perryman (#54) during all four quarters, with the majority coming through during the second quarter.
  • Several tough three point shots were made by senior Cara Dechethong (#40).

Points made each quarter |

Q1: VNHS 10 KHS 12

Q2: VNHS 12 KHS 18 

Q3: VNHS 14 KHS 12

Q4: VNHS 7 KHS 14

What’s next | The team does not have any games left in the season.

Team thoughts | “It was a tough loss since it was the first and only game that we lost in the season, but we will work harder to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” junior varsity player Angie Volpe said.

Our thoughts | This was an intense game, with the Wolves and the Cougars constantly trading unpredictable blows. By the fourth quarter, the Wolves were worn out and tired, which is probably why the team was not able to triumph over their competitors. 

For the books | 

• 16 wins, 2 losses
  • Kennedy High School