Girls soccer goes out with a bang against the Sylmar Spartans

Guadalupe+Tofoya+%28%233%29+fiercely+kicks+the+ball+to+make+a+goal.+
THE MIRROR | FARAH ALSIBAI
Guadalupe Tofoya (#3) fiercely kicks the ball to make a goal.

The bottom line | On Friday, Feb. 2, the girls soccer team went against the Sylmar Spartans and tied with a score of 1-1. 

Highlights | 

• Elisabeth Tafoya (#9) scored the first and only goal during the second half.
  • Izabella Herrera (#10) suffered a head collision and an ankle sprain after bumping into another player on the opposite team. However, she pushed on and got back on the field just five minutes after that.
  • The team remained very defensive for the rest of the game.

What’s next | The girls don’t have any more games left for this season. 

Team thoughts |A lot of us were happy to end off on a tie against Sylmar, since they’re the top team, but we’re also sad it’s the end of the season,” defensive midfielder Izabela Herrera said. “We have a lot of younger girls on the team, so it’s hard for them to watch us seniors leave high school soccer behind. The season was a bit rocky at first, but we all grew such a close bond to one another, so it’s hard to let go of this friendship we made. But overall we’re all excited for the girls staying on the team for the upcoming season.”

Our thoughts | This season was definitely filled with a lot of growth for the girls and many fun memories. Although the girls finished with a tie, their efforts to improve cannot be denied. 

For the books | 

• 6 win, 9 loss, 1 tie
  • Valley Mission League